Life-Lytes - ok for chicks? vs sugar water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sarahal88, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Sarahal88

Sarahal88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    I am making my last preparations for my chicks arriving next week and I was looking for electrolyte supplements to add to their water, since they are being shipped and all. I picked up what was available at the local feed store. They are "Life-Lytes: Vitamin & Electrolyte Supplement for Poultry." They have pictures of adult birds on the bottle and there is no mention of chicks, but the tablets are for a gallon. Can I just cut these in quarters and use them in my chick waterers? Or should I have gotten something specifically for chicks?

Also, are these really any better than just adding sugar to the water? Or should I add some sugar too? Just trying to give my chicks the best start....it is going to be COLD next week when they are shipped.

2. Sarahal88

Dec 31, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You don't need to add sugar. The vitamins and electrolytes is what they need. For chicks you usually get packets or a strip of 3 packets as you only use once in water after chicks first arrive or hatch. But it's good to have all that extra for use now and then in serious heat waves and when you get more chicks over the years.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    My thoughts on sugar is it's an energy boost for them to get eating feed which in turn is what gets them back on their feet if sickly or weak. Better to use the vitamin/electrolyte.

5. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015
    The Life-Lytes Mega Tabs look like the same product as the regular Life-Lytes which Manna Pro does approve for chicks. The tablets are just different sizes so adjust accordingly.

These products aren't sugar substitutes.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  6. lizzychick

lizzychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Chicago Suburbs

My chicks are coming next week too...I'm watching the weather twice a day hoping the forecast rises above single digits and sub zero......I'm so nervous they will all be frozen when they arrive :p:fl where are you located? Sounds like we will have the same weather.

7. Sarahal88

Dec 31, 2014

Sounds like you are worse off than me. I live in the mountains in Virginia, so I am looking at highs in the teens and lows in the single digits, but it shouldn't be quite that cold around here down off the mountain. Good luck with yours!

8. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Sarahal, I've never used the Life-Lytes but what I have used that works very well is Gro Gel plus B. I have chicks coming this week as well. I forgot to order this with my chick order but was able to find it on ebay. I've noticed the past few chick orders has this on the floor of the shipping as I can tell by the green color.

I mix up warm sugar water and take each chick one by one being sure it gets a drink of the water before I turn it loose in the brooder. I have layers of paper towels over the shavings of which I put small spoonfuls of the Gro-Gel plus-B (mixed according to directions) in various places and peck at it with my finger to show them where it is. I do this for several days because it really seems to give them a good start.

Also since so much of the chick starter is big pieces for newly hatched I put it in a grinder to make it fine at the beginning.

I'm in the NC mountains so while I'm fixing the warm water w/sugar and etc., I put the box of chicks on a heating pad turned to low that I have turned on before I left the house. I want to make sure the chicks are warm before I start taking them out of the box.

Wishing both of us good luck in our chick shipment. I've received chicks this time of year but not when record lows are to be broken. [​IMG]

9. Sarahal88

Dec 31, 2014

Thanks for the tips. I just learned today that my shipment was canceled due to extreme cold and snow. I was able to reorder with a couple of breed changes, but I am excited about some of the new breeds. I won't get the Delawares and Black Australorps that I ordered, but I will still get my Buff Orpingtons, and I'll get light brahamas and welsummers instead so I think it'll work out. The new order is supposed to ship Monday though, so I hope it warms up enough!

Did yours make it?

10. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Sarahal88, my chicks came but it was a rough road. The temps were 0 degrees and with everything I did with the heating pad, gro-gel, and ground food, I lost 7 Easter Egg chicks. I've never lost that many and it was sad.

I called Cackle and they gave me a credit for the chicks that died. The rest of the chicks are doing really well. Have you gotten your order yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by