Life-lytes tabs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by silkielover88, Jan 13, 2015.

1. silkielover88

silkielover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    I got life-lytes tabs from tractor supply a few weeks ago. I have been putting it in my chickens water to hopefully help them threw the winter months with the cold temps and water freezing. Do you think it will help? Is it something I should continue to do?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That sort of thing is so often a waste of money. What is in them? You might want to research the ingredients to see what you are givig them, and to give you something specific to check out.

From the name, it sounds like they are an electrolyte supplement, usually sodium and potassium, which your flock should be getting in ample quantity in their regular diet if they are healthy. Occasionally, people and animals can benefit from an electrolyte solution for a brief period after vomiting, diarrhea or other heavy fluid loss. It's also something you can give too much of.

3. silkielover88

silkielover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    Yes, it is a electrolyte suppliment. My main focus was bc of the weather putting stress on them is why I got it. And also bc I have no way of keeping the water from freezing over night and I don't want them to dehydrate.
    It's sodium, magnesium, potassium and a bunch of vitamins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by