1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Life span of black sex-link.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by keds45, Feb 21, 2012.

1. keds45

keds45 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    I know they aren't really a "breed" of chicken, just a 'type" of chicken.

I' heard somewhere that they didn't live very long--like around three years. Is this true? Hoping not because I have one that is around 2 1/2 and I really like her!!!

2. SouthCoastguy

SouthCoastguy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    I don't know, but hope they live longer than that! I have 3 hens, a golden sex link, black sex link, and Rhode Island red...and the black sex link is the friendliest and my favorite! I hope she lives for a long time!

I have lots of pictures of them on my blog, if your interested
    http://myattemptatgardening.blogspot.com/

3. keds45

keds45 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    I know!!! I love mine! She is so nice! But she has laid an egg pretty close to everyday for almost 2 years! well, she did slow slow down quite a bit this last dec-jan. That has to be draining.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're often expected to live shorter than most other actual breeds, yes, because of egg troubles. But don't worry too much, it doesn't happen to all of them.

5. equestrian47

equestrian47 New Egg

Jan 24, 2015
    I just found one of my black sex link chickens dead in the hen house. Four hours ago, she was just running around the yard with the rest of the chickens so I thought I would look online to see what the life span is supposed to be. She and the other sex link chickens I have lay almost every day. Did anyone ever find a definite answer to this question? This Chicken was only 10 months old and had seemed very healthy even 4 hours ago. The black sex links are so beautiful!

6. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Chickens have life spans as varied as humans however, the hybrid egg layers are on the short end of the spectrum. Maybe you get lucky and one lives a long time but count on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by