Lifestyle Enrichment for Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CovenantCreek, Jan 23, 2009.

1. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Any ideas on "toys" for chicks stuck in brooders? It's gonna be awhile before it's warm enough to let them run around outside (the oldest are about a week old). I gave them some small leafed greens today that disappeared. Is that the best direction to go -- small edibles? I am putting some grit in with their feed, so hopefully their little crops will be able to do their jobs.

2. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:They like shiny things ,so maybe some marbles? I put some blocks of wood in my brooder and they loved hoping up on them.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How about some tiny/small cardboard boxes. I put some of those in my brooder and they loved it.

4. mythkat

mythkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mealworms!! It's a hoot to watch them and it gets them used to getting treats from you. Remember to give them chick grit. [​IMG]

5. Iceblink

Iceblink Chillin' With My Peeps

There was another thread about this recently, and someone suggested a large clump of weeds with the dirt still on. I thought it sounded great! Depending on where you live good luck finding a large weed though.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard mirrors are fun, but I haven't gotten around to trying that out just yet. Next brood with be the guinie-pigs. [​IMG]

7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:I have plenty of weeds....... I gave them some yesterday, a variety with chick-sized leaves. Didn't get to see what happened, but there was barely a trace of greenery left when I went back. [​IMG]

I think I might make a run to Petsmart today to look for some mealworms. That sounds like fun.

8. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I've put a frisbie filled with play sand so they can dust bathe. [​IMG]
    Mealworms or crickets are a hoot!!!

Enjoy your babies [​IMG]

9. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

These are great ideas! I put a small cardboard box in the brooder yesterday...it was actually for my little gimpy chick who I was worried about. Well, he didn't like the box and ended up jumping out of it, so I laid the box over on it's side and they all went crazy wanting to sleep in it, next to it, and jumping on top of it.

10. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by