Lifting momma up to look??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kimber, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Kimber

Kimber Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    Will it affect the eggs to lift up momma for a moment to look?

I usually give them a treat and they come off the eggs just for a min to get some goodies, and I can inspect the eggs. The last few days, one of my mommas isn't budging. I think it is somewhere between day 19 and 21 (I had just come home from surgery to find broody mommas) between the pain meds and uncertainty when they started sitting I'm a little unsure about the dates.

On of the mommas hatched one out last night (she jumps up for the treat and we saw the baby) [​IMG] and so far no others are piping...... under her.

2. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    It won't hurt if you lift her up for a minute or two.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    They usually don't leave the nest during the last three days. I always give the food by hand a they appreciate a drink in the hot weather. It most likely will not hurt the eggs but the less interference the better. Mama's usually have it handled. you will know you have babies because they are curious by nature and will peek their little heads out to see what is going on. That is probably the cutest thing you will ever see.

4. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I have to agree, they will peek their tiny heads out and it is certainly the cutest thing I have ever seen!! [​IMG]

5. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    Especially if they are hatching, it is best to leave them alone. Other than satisfying your curiosity, there is really nothing you can accomplish. If the hen is an old experienced mother, it wont really hurt. If she is a "newbie" she might get upset which will not improve anything. Being cursed with an overactive curiosity myself, I've had to learn the hard way over 60+ years, but I certainly understand the temptation. Nowadays I usually don't bother them.

Jim

6. Kimber

Kimber Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    Quote:Oh YEA! And THAT is what started my ADDICTION to chicks! [​IMG]

Thanks all, I will just peek since she hasn't moved in days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by