Light and Being Alone Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsDolittleDuck, Jul 31, 2013.

1. MrsDolittleDuck

MrsDolittleDuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Tennessee
    Hi Everyone,
    I am really new at having a duck. I have found a new friend. I have had her for 6 days now. She is a Pekin Duck. She just showed up in my yard, and now she seems to be my best friend. She already follows me every where. This is the first time I have had a duck. I just keep reading and reading all about ducks and learning that way. I am having so much fun with her. She is so cute. I names her Miss Daisy. (of course). She is living like a queen. I guess my questions are,
    is she lonely because she is by herself? No other duck to keep her company? I don't want to be making her depressed or harm her being by herself. I really don't want to get another duck. One is enough. One is perfect. I also have 3 dogs and 3 cats, so I have enough animals for now. Also I was reading about their eye site. I learned they can see color, and don't see that well at night, but I want to know if I should leave a light on at night for her? I made a house for her on my front porch just for night time. I live on a mountain in TN where there is alot of animals who would probably want to eat her, so I have her on the porch nice and safe. No one or thing can get her. I have been leaving the porch light on for her. Do I need to do that? I would appreciate any info y'all would have for me.
    Glad to see this forum. I need all the help I can get.
    Thanks.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    She needs a friend no matter what. That could be another duck or two. She also needs a pool of water and coop to sleep in and a pen to keep predators from getting her. Ducks prefer to be in trios.

Welcome to BYC!

3. MrsDolittleDuck

MrsDolittleDuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Tennessee
    She does have all of that. She is being treated like a queen duck. I just wasn't sure about being the only duck. If she was sad being by herself. I am always with her, but I am not a duck. What do you think about leaving a light on for her at night? She is on my front porch with her house and water, I put her there in the night time. It is all fenced in so a preditor cannot get her. I have been leaving the porch light on for her all night and Im not sure if she needs it on or off.
    thanks for the info. I need all the help I can get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by