Light bill on a Khaki campbell boy or girl? *Pics*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickGirl6, May 12, 2010.

1. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    I have three khaki campbell ducklings and one has a light bill and light feet and the other two have dark bills and dark feet. Does this mean I have one girl and two boys or one boy and two girls? and the one with the light bill has a white ring around its neck. Here are the pics. Light bill[​IMG]Dark bill[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    I think the Khaki Campbells are sexed by color. The light colored ducklings are male and the dark are female.
    Not positive, but I think so. [​IMG]

Maybe this time around someone who knows will respond.

3. ChickGirl6

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    So I have one boy and two girls?

4. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Wow, I don't remember my drakes being that light that early. However once mature the drakes will have light bills and the ducks dark. So you may be looking at boy/girl/girl. I do remember that my drakes were slightly darker all over, but so slight it would've been hard to tell if they didn't come sexed. My new order, supposedly all girls, has some variation in coloring and some with the white on the necks, so I don't know how accurate that would be. LOL, or I may have some extra drakes.......hard to tell. [​IMG] They sure are cute!!

5. ChickGirl6

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    Ok so I have three khaki campbells.

6. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I think you need to wait until you hear quacking or raspy quack. Then you'll know for sure. The males get a darker head, but that is later as they mature.

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Girls usually have dark bills and boys light,but it doesnt always work that way.
    I bought a ton of dark billed ones thinking they were all girls, I was worng, 5 boys & 1 girl.
    The best way to tell is by sound though

8. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Yeah, I forgot to say that. The bills didn't become noticably different until they were fully feathered. LOL, so yeah, 3 Kahki Campbells!

9. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I thought I had a pair last year they both were boys!

One had a white band around the neck, here they are:
    [​IMG]
    As ducklings they were a bit lighter than the girls are this year but their bills were darker as babies:
    [​IMG]

Bought 4 girls this year:
    [​IMG]
    There are a couple in the photo. All have dark down and dark bills. Ignore the red spot, that's the hatchery's way of telling boys from girls!

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  10. WildWoodsWoman

WildWoodsWoman Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Near Greenbay
    [​IMG] I have 6 khaki campbells! I can't tell the boys from the girls either. 2 have darker heads and these are darker on the top of the tail area. This probably means abosultely nothing! These 3 also have a deeper reddish shaded breast. they are nice looking ducks at almost 2 mos old though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by