Light brahma and age of laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CynthiaM, Jul 14, 2009.

1. CynthiaM

CynthiaM Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    Webster's Corners, B.C.
    I know the brahma breed is slow to mature. My cockeral didn't start mating until 8 months old or so. At what age do the pullets begin to lay? Are they much later than the average of about 22 weeks for other heritage breeds?

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My light Brahmas hatched the first week of January and just started laying about a week ago.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine will be 20 weeks tomorrow and no eggs yet. But she just started squatting.

4. foweler

foweler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Chico, CA
    Mine started at about 20 weeks.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, some of it depends on whether they are breeder stock or hatchery stock. The hatchery ones tend to be less to the standard and more geared towards egg production.
    My first brahma girl to lay did so @ 19 weeks. The last two of the flock didn't start until they were 9 1/2 months old. All hatchery stock.

6. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    I think my light brahmas started... can their eggs be light goldenish off white. [​IMG]

Its sort of an "off white/gold" I have RIR, red stars, BO, BR and want to know who makes this color? (Also, marins and jersey giants and EE and leghorns but this would not be their eggs....)

Yes I KNOW about hendersons chart.... but I still do not know the breed for sure that makes this color [​IMG]

I am getting eggs now in all colors! tan, brown goldish white, white, pink, green and blue, blue/green!) [​IMG]

Its soooo much fun to collect eggs every day. Who else enjoys this "chore?" [​IMG]

7. kim.home

kim.home Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Mine started laying about 20 weeks or so too. Sweetest girls....

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If your bird is squatting it shouldn't be long before she starts laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by