1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light Brahma Chick Coloring

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by psymonetta, Mar 2, 2009.

1. psymonetta

psymonetta Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I have a light brahma chick that isn't so light. From the front she looks like a normal brahma chick, but from behind, she's very, very dark. She is almost black on her saddle, not gray at all. I'm wondering if this is any indication of what her coloring will eventually be like...or if I may have a little roo on my hands, which would be unfortunate for me as they are not allowed inside city limits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She is a little dark on her back. Probably means she'll have a little more black markings on her back then is desirable for a light brahma.
    It in no way indicates that she'll be a he though.

3. minifarm8

minifarm8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have the same issue. Ordered 5 light brahma pullets from Ideal and they do not all look alike. 2 are darker like yours. I wondered if they switched chicks on me... lol. guess not.

4. psymonetta

psymonetta Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I got mine from Ideal too. I ordered three and re-homed two. I kept this one because she's personality plus, she seems really vigorous and she has really nice feathering on her feet.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Here is a picture of one of my light brahma chicks I just hatched about a week ago.

[​IMG]

6. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Wow, she (the last photo) is really light!

I just got 7 chicks from Atwoods who orders from Ideal. The salesperson called and told me that they finally got Standard Cochins in, since I've been checking with them since last year.

Well, I bought 7. They do look a lot like Blue and Splash Cochins, but I'm beginning to think they're Light Brahmas!

They are yellow with a blue cast, like the Cochins, but some have darker spots going down the backs of the head and a few have faint stripes on the back....still on a light yellow background.

Sound like Light Brahmas? They don't show the chicks backs on the Ideal website, so hard to tell. My camera is here but the chicks are out at the farm or I'd take a pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by