1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Light Brahma chick - pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RiddleMe, Jun 1, 2011.

1. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Songster

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I have four light brahmas (hatchery birds), they are all supposed to be pullets. They all started out the same color as chick, basically an off-white color, but one is just a little smaller, feathering later and noticeably darker. Wondering if she is actually a he, or just going to be a little "dirtier" than the others? Pics are at 4 weeks 1 day.
    [​IMG]
    And more pics, one with two of the others for comparison.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

edited title to clarify question

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Songster

Feb 5, 2009
    I have never raised Brahmas, but at 4 weeks I don't see any indication that this is a rooster. The crown isn't red at all and the wattles aren't showing. Based upon the crown and feather shape alone, I'd say you have a pullet.

3. dretd

dretd Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    It doesn't look like its feathering in like a Light Brahma color-wise, and I don't think it looks rooish either-the tail feathers are really developed. Hmmm... kinda reminds me of pictures of Exchequer Leghorns I've seen. I wonder if there is a mystery man in the family somewhere. Maybe someone else has more ideas. for sure you need to update with pictures as it feathers out!

4. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Songster

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That's what I was thinking, the comb and wattles are the same size/color as the other girls, so I was hoping it was just an oddly colored pullet. I'm not planning to breed, wouldn't have bought hatchery if I was, so oddly colored is fine by me - I like variation. [​IMG] I'll definitely update as it feathers out, it should be interesting to see what the color is post molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by