Light Brahma chick - pullet or roo?

RiddleMe

Songster
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
Central Oregon
I have four light brahmas (hatchery birds), they are all supposed to be pullets. They all started out the same color as chick, basically an off-white color, but one is just a little smaller, feathering later and noticeably darker. Wondering if she is actually a he, or just going to be a little "dirtier" than the others? Pics are at 4 weeks 1 day.

And more pics, one with two of the others for comparison.

edited title to clarify question

Last edited:

Blue_Myst

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
I have never raised Brahmas, but at 4 weeks I don't see any indication that this is a rooster. The crown isn't red at all and the wattles aren't showing. Based upon the crown and feather shape alone, I'd say you have a pullet.

dretd

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Ft Collins, CO
It doesn't look like its feathering in like a Light Brahma color-wise, and I don't think it looks rooish either-the tail feathers are really developed. Hmmm... kinda reminds me of pictures of Exchequer Leghorns I've seen. I wonder if there is a mystery man in the family somewhere. Maybe someone else has more ideas. for sure you need to update with pictures as it feathers out!

RiddleMe

Songster
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
Central Oregon
That's what I was thinking, the comb and wattles are the same size/color as the other girls, so I was hoping it was just an oddly colored pullet. I'm not planning to breed, wouldn't have bought hatchery if I was, so oddly colored is fine by me - I like variation.
I'll definitely update as it feathers out, it should be interesting to see what the color is post molt.

Top Bottom