Light Brahma Chicks (Pullets?)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sk8inChick(en), Apr 8, 2012.

1. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Hello,

I have two Light Brahma chicks that are two and a half weeks old. We bought them at a feed store, I believe they came from a local hatchery.

They were supposed to be pullets, but I am noticing some differences in them that I am curious about. For instance, one is noticeably larger in size than the other and one seems to have a ridge on her beak.

I would love to hear everyone's opinion on whether you think they are pullets or not.

Here are some pictures to help...

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Way to early to tell at this point. Not enough feathers. :thumbsup

3. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    I kinda guessed that would be the case. Thank you anyway!

Have a nice Easter!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  4. MineAlways

MineAlways Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    SW PA
    If yours are like mine then I'm going to say pullets because they have tail feathers coming in but not all chicks are the same. I have read that light brahma males feather slow and that is what happened with mine. He got his tail and back feathers last. But like others say its way too early to tell because I had a boy and a girl I could tell the difference by that age

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

x2

I actually have two light brahma chicks the same age as you, and I'm thinking one is a pullet and one is a cockerel, which I'm actually happy about because I wanted a roo for my flock. Anyway, the pullet is feathering so much faster than the cockerel, with tail feathers coming in and wing feathers being a lot longer. Here's a thread where someone who breeds them has pictures and talks about this trait: http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,26745.0.html

No way to be absolutely sure at this age, but that's just what I think based on that thread and the experience I'm currently having with my own babies.

6. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State

Thank you for the replies. Yes, they are feathering rather quickly it seems. They are 3 wks. as of today and they have many more feathers than in those pictures. That is a good sign, right? :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by