Light Brahma-Cockerel or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cannoka, May 11, 2011.

1. Cannoka

Cannoka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Cackel Hatchery has a 95% accuracy rate regarding sexing. So with 16 chicks I figure I should only have 2 cockerels at the most.

At 2 1/2 months old. LOOKS like a cockerel. Was hoping I would luck out with all pullets but this little one I am not sure about. [​IMG]

What do you all think?

[​IMG]

2. Kidsdogsandchickens

Kidsdogsandchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    United States
    I have a light brahma that is about a week younger than yours. Looks very similar! I've convinced myself he/she is a roo! Just waiting for the crowing to start! I'm still holding on to a ray of hope though that just because it is so much bigger and has a bright red comb and wattle that it could still be a she [​IMG] I have found a few pics of hens with a brighter comb and wattle which gives me some hope!

[​IMG]

3. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    My guess is a cockerel (2nd poster a pullet).

I have 2 light brahmas and I know I wondered about both for a bit, but the shape of yours really tells me cockerel at that age. Do you have any more photos? Sometimes when they are "looking" they tend to stand up straighter and give the appearance of a cockerel. My 2 girls are definitely the bosses of my flock and took over the "roo" position. They both have thick legs.

4. Cannoka

Cannoka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    They are hard to photograph when they are running around at warp speed. LOL
    Here he/she is on the left preening. The one to the behind/right I am sure is a pullet.

[​IMG]

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Cannoka, I would say yours was a roo. Those legs are like tree trunks! Kidsdogsandchickens: Yours looks like a pullet.

6. Kidsdogsandchickens

Kidsdogsandchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    United States
    Just heard what sounded like a baby crying...think mine is trying to crow!!

7. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Since this thread has started I'll ask my question [​IMG] I have a 10 week old Brahma I've been puzzling about, here are some pictures tell me your input, please. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are the long side tail feathers a clue?

8. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Most definitely a cockerel.

9. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:X2

10. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Thanks! His new name is Ramses. I think that is a very silly name, but this is a very silly rooster after all!

UPDATE: Ramses is growing more everyday. His side tail feathers are growing longer, his comb is growing pinker/redder, and his top tail feather is curving!

Last edited: May 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by