light brahma cross with buff orp

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bb livestock, Mar 3, 2013.

1. bb livestock

bb livestock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    lacona iowa
    I had some chicks hatch that are light brahma cross with buff orp. I wanted to know what they looked like as adults.
    Pictures please

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Which one is the father? Which breed is the mother? It makes a difference with this cross.

3. bb livestock

bb livestock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    lacona iowa
    light brahma roo cross with buff orp hen

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don’t have photos but I can give you some clues. Buff is a hard one to predict because there are different genetic ways to make buff. And there are modifiers in there that can have some strange effects.

With the rooster being the Light Brahma, you should get yellow chicks. If the cross went the other way, they would be sex links. That’s why I asked. But with this cross, you will not be able to tell sex at hatch.

Your pullets should be colored a lot like your Light Brahma, white with black pattern feathers. I used a Buff Orp hen in a cross several years back with a totally different rooster, a red one, and got a couple of red pullets. I lost my photos in a computer crash but I seem to remember that the black around the neck and even the tail feathers were not all that noticeable. I think some of the modifiers in the buff restricted those some. I think you will still see black markings, but they may not be as pronounced as you might expect.

Your roosters should also look a lot like the Light Brahma, but I think you will see some differences. I think the saddle and hackle feathers will likely come in yellowish, rusty, stained, whatever you want to call it. I also would not be shocked to see a little of the gold color leaking through. This could be a few random feathers about anywhere on the body or it could be sort of concentrated a little, maybe around the wings.

I’ve never done this specific cross, so there is some speculation involved. In theory you will get a hen that looks a lot like the Light Brahma and a rooster that looks a lot like a Light Brahma but probably with stained saddle and hackle feathers. But theory and what actually comes out of the egg don’t always match perfectly.

Hope this helps some. Good luck with the hatch.

5. Mr D

Mr D Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    SETX
    Could you please explain the difference? I've been searching for an explanation, but for far to no avail...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by