Light Brahma gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hcw32, Nov 16, 2016.

1. hcw32

hcw32 New Egg

Nov 16, 2016
    Hello, I am new to the forum and new to Chickens. Yesterday I added what I believed to be two hens and a rooster to the flock. The 2 hens and rooster all came from the same pen at the place I bought them. When I got them home the rooster began pecking the light brahma to the point she buried her head in the corner and wouldn't look up. Today she wouldn't come out of the coop, she roosted all day. I started wondering if maybe the brahma was possibly a rooster? She or he is about 5 months old. Is this normal? Thank you in advance for the help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I believe you have what they told you...2 hens and a rooster....at about 4 to 5 months of age.

The Light Brahma, from the photos, looks to be a hen about 4 to 5 months of age. Nearly point of lay.

The rooster may be a Speckled Sussex, younger, and likely feeling his oats.

And the hen in the back (can't see well) may be a Rhode Island Red or Production Red.

I doubt they were raised together but penned for sale. Which is why the rooster is establishing pecking order, literally.

He may be interested in mating, but the Light Brahma just isn't there yet, so not returning his affections.

She also might be under the weather, showing some transition illness, which is why she may be hiding as well as being picked on. Birds will do that when one bird is not feeling well...they will pick on them to drive them away.

Birds will also pick on other birds who are different looking. She is the only white bird in the group. That could be a cause.

Or they are just establishing pecking order in a new place. That happens too.

Watch and wait. Intervene if you feel the Light Brahma is in distress or showing signs of illness. Do not introduce any of the new birds to the rest of your flock for at least 2 to 4 weeks to make sure they are not bringing in any illness or parasites.

Now would be a good time to worm and treat for parasites especially since change of location creates stress which lowers the immune system in birds.

I like to put all new birds on medicated chick start to belay any coccidiosis overgrowth from the new location as they won't be immune to your strain. If you see any diarrhea, listlessness, or bloody diarrhea, put them on Sulmet or Corrid.

Also dust with poultry dust or treat with Ivermectin (helps with both internal and external parasites). Wazine will treat round worms, something like Rooster Booster Multi Wormer will get more (fee added). Or go to something like Safeguard in the water.

Good luck with your new birds.

[​IMG]

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

4. hcw32

hcw32 New Egg

Nov 16, 2016
    Thank you for the advice and all the information! I look forward to continuing to learn using this great resource. The chickens have settled down, everyone is acting right and what I would consider "typical pecking order" not near as aggressive as it was the first night. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by