Light Brahma or Giant Blue Cochin

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by popsicle, Feb 26, 2012.

1. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey everybody,
    I got excited and jumped the gun when I saw the ranch store had chicks. I picked out six new birds for our new mini-acreage.

At one brooder I said I wanted one Light Brahma, as the guy reached in to grab one I pointed at a nice healthy chick with fuzzy legs that looked similar to my previous Buff Brahmas. When I got home and opened the box and looked at the chick a little closer it occured to me that Light Brahma chicks probably don't look that much like Buff Brahmas and then it also occured to me that there were also Giant Blue Cochins in the same brooder. Looking at pictures online I can't really tell which I actually got.
    Keep in mind this is a hatchery chick (Welp). THANKS!

[​IMG]

2. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I'd be more inclined to say Brahma...

What kind of comb does it have, pea or straight? That will narrow it down.

3. zeely

zeely Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    a brahma will have a pea comb (three rows of little bumps) and a cochin will have a single comb (flat with serrated points). that's probably the easiest way to tell at this age.

4. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha! I didn't even think about the difference between pea comb and single comb at this age. I think she must be a brahma then, however none of my photos show her comb.

5. she is very cute!!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree it looks like a Brahma!

7. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    At this wee age the bumps really are not apparent and the comb seems more of just a wide flat-ish area, maybe 3 times as wide as and single comb. Look very closely at the comb straight on and see of you see any indication of a ridge. Although a light Brahma can have some gray tones to its fluff, this one seems grayer (like no yellow except for a little on the face) than I have seen any LB before and I am suspicious.

popscicle: can you get a straight -on shot of the comb (you may have to wit until she is sleeping). She sure is cute!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  8. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Yes, I'm suspicious about the coloring, too. Doesn't seem to be light enough for a light brahma baby. I'd love to see a straight-on shot of the comb if you can get one, popsicle. [​IMG]

9. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I have hatchery stock light brahmas, some started out that dark. They are three now and they have guite abit of smut. Really adorable chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by