Light brahma or what?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Floc Quebecois, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Hi there!

we're newbies here... AND newbies with chickens... but we LOVE it!

here's where we could use some help : we got this chick and were told he/she was a light brahma... but we're not so sure about that... Could someone please tell us what breed he/she is? and if he/she is a he or a she?

[​IMG]

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    That chick is some kind of brahma and yes it is a boy.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    He's a hatchery type Silver Laced Cochin.

Chris

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:x2 and a boy.

5. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Thanks guys!

so helpful...

i guess we'll have to find a home for this little guy (now named "flicker" because he flicked to a "he"...); we can't keep a roo... too bad i think he would have been gorgeous...

thanks again! [​IMG]

6. bbqkingfish

bbqkingfish New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    They look like happy birds. I live in your neck of the woods. I don't have chickens, but I would like to in the near future. My interest has rubbed of on my nine

year old daughter. We joined this site after doing many searches and have enjoyed many good reads since. Do you live on-island? I am in Ville Saint-Laurent and worry about bylaws. With my neighbors approval I may build a coop in the spring. [​IMG]

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I Don't think its a brahma?. And I say Roo for the sex. I agree too Cochin.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  8. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    @bbqkingfish : yes, we live on the island: We let our closest neighbours know about our plan and they're all excited! As for the bylaws, we try not to think about it too much but we are fully aware that we could get into some kind of troubles... but eh! you got to try, no? Many other cities are allowing chickens; why not Montreal?!? And it is sooooo rewarding so far (even though our flock is too young to lay...) I just love them so much! Our coop is a co-op type one: we have friends in the project with us and we all share the work/benefits (but I feel like we got the best part as the coop is in our backyard!).

Let us know when you're ready to build your coop: we would love to give you guys a hand! Also, if you want to come visit sometimes, you are more than welcome! [​IMG]

9. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:yeah... cochin it is I guess... and a boy too!
    He is the one leading the ball when it's time to go sleep in the coop... So I guess it makes sense...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by