chickmamat

Songster
Apr 3, 2018
California Desert
94BA5794-F18C-4E7E-A7F8-0824D0795C6D.jpeg
617E3636-B4D7-40A5-B6ED-399BA12A27B9.jpeg
D001FD31-6279-4309-9C01-8FC34BEECED1.jpeg
B7A0A56D-B3A6-4191-877A-E94172E00A08.jpeg
I have an 8mo old light Brahma who has had some bleeding on her feet the last 5-6 days. I noticed a small spot at first and didn’t think much of it. But today there is obviously more and she seems to me favoring the foot slightly. I have included photos. She is eating, drinking, and laying (as far as I can tell) fine. Has lost a bit of feathers, I thought it might just be a light molt.

I did notice one other chicken peck at her foot. Not sure if that is the cause of the irritation and missing feathers or because there is now red spots drawing the attention of the other birds. She’s always had pretty chunky, rough feet. I thought it was her breed and the large feathers. My other LB has similar feet without the redness and bleeding.

I don’t think it’s mites but I’m a first time chicken owner and honestly am not sure. I keep an extremely clean coop and they have plenty of space (more than the minimum) even free range multiple times a week.

I soaked her feet and sprayed with Theracyn.

Any idea what it could be and the best treatment?

I did notice one other chicken peck at her foot.
I think some of it is probably picking. I see new growth coming in, but also broken feathers. She may have broken one and it bled, that led to some picking....it's hard to know.
The scales do look a bit irritated and raised to me, but on feather footed chickens, that could be normal(?) since those feathers pushing through are probably uncomfortable.

Nonetheless, it won't hurt to apply the Theracyn or even some oil to soothe irritation. With oil (vaseline, castor/coconut oil, Nu Stock, etc.) that will also smother any mites that make be taking up residence under the scales too.

Just my thoughts.

I have never seen anything like that. If possible I would separate her out, but within sight to see if it improves. That would tell you it's pecking. I don't know if it looks like scaly leg, it does look like something. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive ?

I think some of it is probably picking. I see new growth coming in, but also broken feathers. She may have broken one and it bled, that led to some picking....it's hard to know.
The scales do look a bit irritated and raised to me, but on feather footed chickens, that could be normal(?) since those feathers pushing through are probably uncomfortable.

Nonetheless, it won't hurt to apply the Theracyn or even some oil to soothe irritation. With oil (vaseline, castor/coconut oil, Nu Stock, etc.) that will also smother any mites that make be taking up residence under the scales too.

Just my thoughts.
Thank you! The new ones coming in look really uncomfortable.

You can try Pick No More, I have never tried it. Have heard mixed reviews about it though, from what I understand it sort of needs to be "wet" so the picker(s) get a taste of it. It also has some anti-septic properties too I believe (natural oils?)
I saw where someone else recommended Vick Vapor Rub, same concept it's supposed to "taste bad", but of course it does not have a coloring like the Pick No More which is to hide redness.

You’ve gotten some really good advice. Just be aware that as long as there’s blood or redness the others will be attracted to it and peck. So know you eye out for that. The others could really make a big problem for you (and your chicken). Best wishes

Ok, I have determined that its a result of new feather growth and pecking. I've been isolating her during the day but putting her back about an hour before sunset so she can roost with the flock. But when they are together she hides in the coop because they will not stop peking her feet. I've been applying the Theracyn 3x daily as the directions state. And tried applying bag balm today before putting her back. I thought that would help deter pecking but no luck. What other products will prevent pecking, if any?

Back
Top Bottom