1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light Brahma/pecking question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Country Gal, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I've noticed that a couple of my Light Brahmas are missing most of the feathers on their backs, right above the tail.

I'm assuming that they were pecked by the other chickens, but they never pecked to the point of blood.

Are these feathers going to grow back at any point?

Thanks!

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Are these hens? If so, they are the roo's favorite hens and breeds them more than the others. I have the same problem with my Barred Rocks.

3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    My light brahma pullets went through a similar stage at about 8 - 12 weeks of age. Missing feathers with no blood. I think it may be a stage where their adult feathers are growing in.

4. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    Would they be practicing "breeding behavior" at this age? They are only 10 weeks old...

5. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Not sure about Brahma males, but my Leghorn roo's are certainly practicing this behavior at 8 weeks. They seem particularly fond of a Dark Brahma pullet. She also has missing feather just above her tail. She's separated from the others now until she heals, and the boys get their own pen now. I didn't expect to deal with this so early on.

6. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Quote:That's the same age as mine when the feathers fell out. It defintely wasn't due to breeding behavior. Like I said, it seems like it was a normal stage of feathering, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by