Light Brahma: Pullet? I'm hoping??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Juno's Chicks, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Juno's Chicks

Juno's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    Berks County
    Here is my chick Birdie... s/he is 4.5 weeks old. I noticed yesterday wattles are coming in. I'm new to the chicken world and was not sure if females ended up with small wattles. Thank you!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again!!! :)

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I thought pullet until I saw how red her comb was in the last picture. So really, [​IMG] Hope someone else helps out!

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Hmmm... Does look a little rooish [​IMG]

4. Vyraal

Vyraal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    Dont take my word for it, but judging by the red color of the comb and wattles I'd say you have a little roo!

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I'm going to have to agree that it looks like a cockerel. The size of the comb is fine but wouldn't be that red on a pullet, nor would a pullet have wattles at that age.

6. kippy2

kippy2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    looks like a roo but hope its a pullet:)

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I hate to tell you this, but my chicks are JUST now starting to look pink/red in the comb area, and not even as deep a color as your bird in the photo....they are 8ish weeks old now. The one that I suspect to be a roo also begun developing wattles early...at about 6 weeks. He now has a developed comb, noticable wattles, an very thick rooish legs....I think you may have a roo...but if it makes you feel any better, my BLRW developed pink combs early...both times I have raised them...

8. 2 britts

2 britts Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    East Tn.
    Quote:X2

9. Juno's Chicks

Juno's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    Berks County
    Thanks everyone!!

This means 4 of the 11 chicks I ordered are roosters.... I ordered all pullets!! I knew there was a chance but MAN! not this many!!!

10. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    where did you order them from? Lotsa hatcheries will give you a 90% guarantee...if more than 10% of your chicks are male, they will refund/credit you for new chicks...but some of them make you wait till a certain age. I ordered from My Pet Chicken, and they make you wait till the bird is 7 months old before they will refund/credit for males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by