Light Brahma Roos - meek or wild?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mrs MIA, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I'm beginning to think aggressiveness goes along with the breed... I just put down a beautiful roo not too long ago for attacking me (twice, and causing significant damage), and now my "replacement" roos are showing signs of being little poopie-heads, too. [​IMG]
    Is it the breed? What is/are your light brahma(s) like?

He gets kisses from the girl, but I get pecked...
    [​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    No brahma boys at my place but that is one sweet picture! [​IMG] How old is he? Maybe he'll calm down if he's allowed to grow older? My current teens (mostly barred rocks & barred rock crosses) have a thing for boots. They don't out & out attack (yet) but they're starting that neck flare thing when I'm out amongst them. It's only the boots though, 'cause I can wear other shoes and it doesn't phase them.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My Light Brahma rooster is a sweetheart...never a problem...I've had quite a few brahma roosters to grow out and never had an issue with any of them....

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I think part of it is that there are 4 roos and 1 hen in a pen that was supposed to house 1 roo and 4 hens... [​IMG] Somebody at the factory screwed up. Once there's just the one, hopefully he will calm down. My last roo was the only one with ALLlllll the girls (20+) and he was VERY protective and had no qualms inflicting damage to anyone that came near. I didn't let the boys in with him - he was a year old and almost 10 pounds.

5. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My Light Brahma will fight the Orp roosters so they are never ever let free range together...I'd be willing to bet the ratio of 4 young rooster to 1 hen is the major part of the problem....they are testing their male hormones is all...

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I of course love the light brahma breed and won't have anything bad to say about them.

It has everything to do with the individual you are dealing with. My present roo bigzio is the kindest most gentle 3 year old roo you could ever see....he gets treated like a pet kitten....who could figure that?

Held daily, comes when called....yep that's the truth! Do we spend alot of time with our flock? You bet we do.

The Light Brahma breed is alot of fun to work with, with individuals that will suprise you and make you like them, even if you didn't pick them out as favorites.

bigzio

7. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG]...They are my favorite breed....

8. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I'm glad to hear I don't have the only teenage roo who has a thing for boots.

My Light Brahama cross roo is a sweetheart. (not the one with the thing for boots). Very laid back.

So am I reading correctly that some of this is just them being teens and they'll settle down and be nice? Do they grow out of the boot thing?

9. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    my brahma Elvis is very sweet, and really good with his girls, and the other roosters. He is the king, and they all know it.
    [​IMG]

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I think part of it is that there are 4 roos and 1 hen in a pen that was supposed to house 1 roo and 4 hens... [​IMG]

The Brahma has been a traditional favorite in this country back into the 1800's. The breed was one of what I call the 'Big 5', market breeds that were prominent for eggs and meat.
    The others were Wyandottes, the Plymouth Rock, The Reds and the Leghorn.

Brahmas have always had a reputation for a calm demeanor, as a breed. Of course indiviauls and strains can vary to a degree.
    In your case though, I think you have answered your own concerns, here.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by