Light Brahma Rooster - good choice? ***PICS ADDED***

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bobbi-j, Aug 11, 2010.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Flock Master Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Just a little background. I've had chickens on and off for years, but until this year I didn't have a good coop and run. As a result, I went through alot of chickens. Anyway, now that I have a great coop and run, I'd like to "build" myself a multi-purpose flock. This spring I bought 8 pullets - 2 Production Reds, 2 SLWs, 1 Buff Orp and 3 EEs (one of them was supposed to be another BO, but I got them at the local feed store and had "help" getting them out of the tank...) I also have about a dozen old laying hens and 2 roos I got from a friend who couldn't keep them anymore. These will be butchered and canned this fall. One of the roos is a gorgeous Red Leghorn (at least that's what I was told he was. Beautiful deep red, with purple & green sheen in his tail). I had thought I would keep him for my flock roo because he's so pretty. But yesterday, I got a call from a neighbor with extra roosters to get rid of. Light Brahmas. They're a year old, and now I'm thinking that maybe I'd like to keep one of them for my flock. The leghorn is pretty flighty, and has a history of attacking people, although I've never had a problem with him. All this to ask about the temperament of the brahmas. I think I read that they're pretty gentle and even-tempered? If so, I would like to keep one of these as my flock roo and re-home the leghorn to a jar. I think crossing the brahma with my other birds would create more of a dual-purpose bird anyway. What do you all think? (Sorry for such a LONG post!)

Edited to add - the only reason I'm wavering is because I'm familiar with the leghorn roo and his behavior. I've had mean ones in the past and don't want to take the chance with one of the brahmas if they're ornery as a rule. I know each bird has its own personality.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. noahsark

noahsark Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Alls I ever had was light brahmas..weve been raising a few for food, and I got a mix, so ive seen a few new personalities, such as buffs, rhode islands, javas, austulorps..
    I think the brahmas are the coolest, gentlest, friendliest chicken Ive seen.My child was raised with them, and picks them up and the follow us around, they would come in the house if we allowed! My rooster of 7 years was dead this morning, and im so sad.he had a beuitful crow, and only at the right times! Sounds like a big bleeding heart crow..My other brahmas have been sitting at his grave all day mourning him..They are great birds...good luck

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I am sorry on the loss of your gentle giant. [​IMG]
    I have a dark brahma roo "Thor" that I love to the moon and back. [​IMG]

4. bobbi-j

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Thank you for your replies. I'm leaning more and more toward one of the brahmas. I think I'll just keep the biggest one since they're all about the same age. I can always take a picture of my pretty red rooster and frame it for when I want to look at him.

Noahsark - Sorry about your rooster.

5. bobbi-j

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Thought I'd show you my choices. I'd be going from this (I know - it's hard to see what a pretty bird he is when he's mooning you):

[​IMG]

To one of these:

[​IMG]

Probably this one - he's the nicest looking one of the bunch:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by