Light Brahma Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nfrost, Jul 26, 2011.

1. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    He is 3 months old, and we heard our first crow out of him, just a few questions, it sounded weak not sick but really quite will he get louder cause he is young or will he just be a quiter crower. And he isnt being a protector of the flock kinda just doing his own thing likes to eat by himself and not share with the hens is this cause of age? And if there are 3-4 roosters in a group if 25 chickens and they all grew up together should they be fine? and the last one, if he is gonna be an agressive rooster how long before he should show signs of aggresion??

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yes that is normal for him to act like that at such a young age. Mine didn't start showing signs of aggression until almost a year old. Although some are different. I have two Barnies that are sweet babies and never did flog anyone and they are over a year now so I'm hoping that lasts! Good luck with him! [​IMG] Maybe you should share pictures [​IMG]
    Oh and yes, they should be just fine if raised together. The only thing to watch is if one gets sick. Then the other two may attack him if he shows signs of weakness. They will have arguments at times (mine do every morning and every night) but it shouldn't be anything bad. Mine like to grab at the tail right near the back and so they are always scruffy looking in that area. Most times they just collect "their" girls (they each have their own girls) and they go about their own business and get along fine [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh yeah, he'll get louder. [​IMG]

4. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I don't have answers to all of your questions, but I can tackle a couple. [​IMG]

If he just started crowing, yes...he will get louder and better at it. I think the "baby crows" are so stinkin cute! I have a couple practicing right now, too. [​IMG]

I think 3 in a group of 25 would be ok...4 might be pushing it, but I would certainly try it if I liked them all.

My nasty rooster was probably @ 6-8 mos old before he started charging us. I have heard some may start later. If one gets that way, at least you'll know which of the 4 to get rid of. [​IMG]

Best of luck with your little guys! I sure love my good boys!

5. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    i just have to reply that i have a light brahma roo that is 16 wks. old, and every morning he would cry out, "Go to hell!!" several times. At least, that's what his baby crows sounded like to me [​IMG]

he still sounds like a chain smoker, but his crow has become more...........let us say, 'polite'. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by