Light Brahma Roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ND, Aug 21, 2010.

1. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    I have a trio of light Brahmas...supposed to be a rooster and two hens, all about a year old.
    Definitely have one hen, one rooster...and I think the other might just be a rooster, too...

I've heard no crowing from it, but the rooster I have is dominant and would obviously be older. It LOOKS more rooster like to me... in stance and walk... it's much taller than the mature hen I have... and today, I noticed that it seems to be getting pointed saddle feathers-- a few-- and there is a greenish tint to some tail feathers now. The one I know is a hen has absolutely NO green tint to any of her tail feathers. The questionable roo doesn't seem to have a cape as much as the mature rooster, but I think they might be looking more and more like the roo than the hen's. It's comb and wattle isn't as big or bright as the mature roo...but bigger than the hen, especially the comb, but not a HUGE difference.

I'm not 100% SURE, but do the hens ever have the metallic green tint in their tail feathers? That's what caught my eye first.... then I noticed what I think are pointed, longer saddle feathers coming in...

I can't get any pictures that show the coloring in the tail...

I'm trying to get pictures to upload, but not having a lot of luck yet...

2. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    got pictures...

not very good, but maybe good enough

[​IMG]

In the background...the front chicken is the hen (weird shot, sorry!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes, it's a rooster. [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, cockerel. [​IMG]

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Looks like a rooster to me

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Certainly looks like a roo....

sandie

7. Tim63

Tim63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    Yes, it is a male. The saddles are pointed like a males. This bird is colored like a female. Male light brahmas saddle feathers are supposed to be black laced with white. I have noticed several photos of lights like that on this forum. Where did you get them? The middle toe is supposed to be feathered as well, with some black in the leg feathers. I understand this may not matter to you, thats okay. If you follow the link to the American Brahma Club in my sig, there are some good photos there. Enjoy your Brahmas!

8. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    yep..its a roo. you can see the saddle feathers already

9. fwschrom

fwschrom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Hayden Idaho
    definately a Roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by