Light Brahma - what sex? UPDATE 9/2 pg. 6 it's a boy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by glowworm, Jul 24, 2008.

1. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Okay, I have a 5 week old light brahma that was bought as a pullet. It has feathered out slower than my other light brahma, and although they weighed the same at 2 1/2 weeks old, it looks bigger now.

It's more confident than my australorp and BO, but just as much as my other light brahma. BUT this one carries itself different, stands up straigher. I think the comb area is wider and a little pinker than the other brahma. THe australorp looks big because its a week older.

Roo or Pullet? exactly 5 weeks old in photos, except last photo is at 4 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ON RIGHT
    [​IMG]

4 weeks old, on right again
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Humm looks like my pullet Brahma at that same age.

3. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    I have 6 Light Brahmas that will be 5 weeks this Friday. One LB from the very beginning had a rooster stance and same weight and growth as the others but the tail feathers were not there. Now, I believe she is a he, his comb is bigger and getting pink and now getting black tail feathers coming straight out. If I can I'll take pics. All the others look the same except for him. He also tends to jump at the others instead of pecking (for pecking order). I'm a newbie at this but I had a BO that had the same tail issue and she turned out to be a he, he now has a huge red comb and waddles.

The tail feathers on my Light Brahmas (what I believe to be a boy) looks like the last pic (the one on the right) but now has pure black tail feathers coming out. On the comb part, mine has bigger bumps(not sure official name) than yours.

4. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Looks like a roo to me. Bigger comb and it has thick legs.

5. glowworm

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Yeah, *its* tail is coming in right now, and its behind the other brahma, so we'll see.

No waddles *yet*.

Personality wise, this one stays out of the quarrels over something yummy. THe other 3 will be running laps trading off the piece of something good and pecking each other. The brahma in question will run along side the pack, but won't try to steal the object in desire.

ohmychickies, if you can get a pic of your boy next to one of your girls it would help a lot. [​IMG]

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

They look like pullets to me....

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would guess its a rooster.

8. glowworm

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    I realize I might have to wait longer to tell for sure...It just sucks because I live in the city and if its a rooster, its gotta go. Figures this is my favorite too!

More pictures, from today:

Comb:
    [​IMG]

side view:
    [​IMG]

fun pic of bath time:
    [​IMG]

9. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Can't help with roo or pullet but wanted to say what a nice looking little bird!! We have the dark brahmas and they are 5 1/2 weeks old. The boys are little meanies but Jasmine is a sweetheart! I would love a light brahma too. Love their feet!!

10. glowworm

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    I hope its a pullet because my other brahma, IMO doesn't have proper coloring. I don't think it's supposed to have the "barring" and I don't care for the colored messy feathers on its back.

My brahmas like me the most and are so sweet. They are so curious. I've noticed since they were little that they are much better at forgaging, and are more likely to try new foods. If I started all over I think I would just get all brahmas (nothing against the australorp and BO, but the brahmas are more fun!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by