light brahma wheezing and feverish

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prebl, Dec 19, 2010.

1. prebl

prebl New Egg

Jun 3, 2010
    My 10-month old light brahma hen is wheezing and feverish. Her right eye keeps closing even though her left eye stays open. There is no sign of discharge from either eye nor is there any swelling. Her poo and feeding (Kruse lay pellets with oyster shells) is normal. Her feet are fine -- no bumblefoot. I gave her a drop of advil from a gel cap and some ricotta cheese for her stomach. I use pine shavings and bermuda grass as bedding. I've been using a syringe to try to get her to drink some water.

Where do people get their baytril and terramyacin? I have inside with us tonight in case this is something the other girls can catch. How long should I keep her separated from the others? Any suggestions about what to do? I've only had chickens for a year and a half. I've dealt with bumblefoot, but nothing else.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    from what I've read on here nothing but baby aspirin should be given to chickens, but I don't think I've seen anyone give advil so don't really know about it. If it's bacterial then the antibiotics will help her if its viral they won't. The feed store is where most get their meds. or TRS. You did the right thing about putting her away from the others, As long as she has symptoms keep her seperate. There are lots of good threads about upper respitory infections on here google search and see if any fit, Good luck and keep us posted.

3. prebl

prebl New Egg

Jun 3, 2010
    Thank you for answering my questions. Estee is feeling better now. I'm going to check out my feed store for meds next time I go.

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    durimyisin(sp)or I give Tylan for the weezing and eye thing. Tylan 50 injectable .35cc in the breast or necx 1 time daily for 3 to 5 days. Make sure you seperate from others. Feed store has both. You can drop it in the eyes and mouth to help too.Good luck!
    Quote:

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    prebl? ......[​IMG]........and hope your hen is feeling better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by