Light Brahmas 24weeks old no eggs yet...Could they be roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaurieChickenMomma, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Hey Everyone!
    Does anyone have Light Brahmas? My two are 24 weeks old and still no eggs. I am 99.9% sure they are pullets but I am a chicken newbie so maybe I'm wrong. Should they be laying by now if they are girls? Do you see any signs they might be roos? Maybe, I just need to be more patient and the eggs will come soon. (Neither one crows either but I don't know when that behavior starts for roos.) What are your opinions?

[​IMG]

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Look like hens/ pullets . I have only had 1 light brahma . Raised her from a chick and she never laid an egg !

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

They are pullets. If they dont lay by the time they at 30 weeks they worry. Larger breeds take longer to lay.

4. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    both girls. the eggs will come eventually [​IMG]

5. icemanchicken

icemanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    My light brahma hen is my favorite, she has laid 5-6 eggs a week all summer! But i recently purchased 21 more light brahma hens that are around 7 months and i havnt seen a single egg from them. I think its too hot for them to start but from what i hear Light brahmas lay longer that most chickens.

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Both pullets and beautiful pullets at that!!!! Brahmas are slow to mature so I wouldn't worry about it.

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    No, really don't worry. My Brahma girls have all been well over 6 months old before they laid.....and they eggs look quite small for such a big bird, but they lay for years.

Sandie

8. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Pullets. I have 3 light brahmas (2 year olds) and they are not really big on egg laying compared to my other chickens. Also, yours are reaching maturity closer towards fall, so unless you give them supplemental light (total of 14 hours a day, including natural daylight) they may not even start to lay until spring.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Both are pullets. Brahmas are slow to mature and hens usually don't lay til they are 6 or 7 months old, but when they do lay they will lay all winter long. I never had to supplement light with my Brahmas in winter.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Both are BEAUTIFUL girls. I hope my little chick LB will be as pretty as yours when she gets out of the brooder. (She's in there with five olive eggers and a BJG, is just over two weeks old so I have a whole lot longer to wait for eggs from her than you do from yours.)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by