light brahmas feathering in

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by midd2005, Aug 12, 2010.

1. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    hi all,
    so i have a set of 3 light brahmas. they are 2.5 weeks old now and though they are behind their barred rock sisters, their feathers are coming along nicely. however, what i'm finding rather surprising is they are feathering in a lot of black. the feathers are mostly black with white tips. i thought their wings would feather in white, no? i'm beginning to wonder whether they will look like light brahmas at all.

they are from MPC via Meyer so i don't expect them to be a shining example of their breed, but i did think i'd get a white chicken with a blackish head and tail.

does anyone else have pics of their light brahmas around this age?

2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    they sound okay
    we used to have brahmas, thats how the did, only mine were buff
    their wings will have black on them right now, just wait till they feather in alll the way [​IMG]

3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i have brahamas, give them a few more weeks. hatchery birds sometimes have to much blk in the feathers.

4. PetChickenBoo

PetChickenBoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Here's a picture of my light brahma at around 2wks old and then at around 4 weeks old. I too was surprised by how dark she is so far but that may change. She came from Meyer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    the younger ones are pretty much exactly what mine look like. and i would imagine that they will look like your 4 week olds in about 10 days.

so brahma people, what's the deal? will they ever whiten out or is that mottled look what PetChickenBoo and I are going to get?

6. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    there going to have alot more blk in there feathers. thats a problem with hatchery stock. although when bred to a correct colored roo there off spring will be colored right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by