Light Brahmas - Hens or Roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lilmstw72, Sep 4, 2010.

1. lilmstw72

lilmstw72 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Mid-Michigan
    I'm new to raising chickens and in April we purchased 6 chicks from a local feed store. My brahmas are about 20-21wks old now. They were supposed to all be hens (95%). About a month ago one dominant rooster made his presence obvious and once he was starting to be pretty aggressive with my hens I decided to find him a new home. The very next morning I had a new rooster starting to crow. Apparently he was just waiting for rooster #1 to move out. Ugh... now I'm looking at the remaining 5 and wondering how many more roosters I have. We have just started getting eggs so I know I have at least 1 hen. [​IMG]

By looking at the attached photos, can you tell how many are roosters vs hens.

Thanks so much!

One rooster/one hen?: [​IMG]
    Another rooster?: [​IMG]
    Pretty sure this is a hen: [​IMG]
    Unsure: [​IMG]
    Obvious rooster that is in charge currently: [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  2. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    I think you are right.
    cockerel, pullet
    cockerel
    pullet
    don't know, can we see a side tail shot?
    cockerel

3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I think u are right. I might say roo for the uncertain one though. hope im wrong.

4. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree uncertain looks like a roo to me too

5. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    the unsure one might be your hen thats laying

6. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    they are all so pretty!

7. lilmstw72

lilmstw72 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Mid-Michigan
    Quote:The picture just above the 'unsure' one is a hen so maybe this is my only other hen. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have 2 hens. Based on most comments, it sounds like I have 4 roos and only 1 hen. Poor girl... I don't know if I should just wait til spring to get more. Maybe I should try to hatch some. Either way, I'll be down to 2 or 3 soon.

I do love the look of this breed and would like to get some other colors in the same breed.

Thanks for all the replies.

8. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:The picture just above the 'unsure' one is a hen so maybe this is my only other hen. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have 2 hens. Based on most comments, it sounds like I have 4 roos and only 1 hen. Poor girl... I don't know if I should just wait til spring to get more. Maybe I should try to hatch some. Either way, I'll be down to 2 or 3 soon.

I do love the look of this breed and would like to get some other colors in the same breed.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think you have 2 hens. The one we're unsure about is probably more red than the other because it is probably laying. They get redder right before they lay.
    See how the roosters' black feathers at the neck seem to be more pointed and curl around the front? The two hens don't do that.
    The other doesn't look like she's colored up enough to be laying yet.
    Can you get a better (side) shot of the one we're unsure about? It would help a lot to see tail and hackle feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by