Light Brahmas - Hens or Roosters

lilmstw72

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 4, 2010
Mid-Michigan
I'm new to raising chickens and in April we purchased 6 chicks from a local feed store. My brahmas are about 20-21wks old now. They were supposed to all be hens (95%). About a month ago one dominant rooster made his presence obvious and once he was starting to be pretty aggressive with my hens I decided to find him a new home. The very next morning I had a new rooster starting to crow. Apparently he was just waiting for rooster #1 to move out. Ugh... now I'm looking at the remaining 5 and wondering how many more roosters I have. We have just started getting eggs so I know I have at least 1 hen.
smile.png

By looking at the attached photos, can you tell how many are roosters vs hens.

Thanks so much!

One rooster/one hen?:
67088_090100_153300.jpg

Another rooster?:
67088_090100_153202.jpg

Pretty sure this is a hen:
67088_090100_153201.jpg

Unsure:
67088_090100_153200.jpg

Obvious rooster that is in charge currently:
67088_090100_153301.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
The picture just above the 'unsure' one is a hen so maybe this is my only other hen. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have 2 hens. Based on most comments, it sounds like I have 4 roos and only 1 hen. Poor girl... I don't know if I should just wait til spring to get more. Maybe I should try to hatch some. Either way, I'll be down to 2 or 3 soon.

I do love the look of this breed and would like to get some other colors in the same breed.

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
The picture just above the 'unsure' one is a hen so maybe this is my only other hen. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have 2 hens. Based on most comments, it sounds like I have 4 roos and only 1 hen. Poor girl... I don't know if I should just wait til spring to get more. Maybe I should try to hatch some. Either way, I'll be down to 2 or 3 soon.

I do love the look of this breed and would like to get some other colors in the same breed.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think you have 2 hens. The one we're unsure about is probably more red than the other because it is probably laying. They get redder right before they lay.
See how the roosters' black feathers at the neck seem to be more pointed and curl around the front? The two hens don't do that.
The other doesn't look like she's colored up enough to be laying yet.
Can you get a better (side) shot of the one we're unsure about? It would help a lot to see tail and hackle feathers.

Back
Top Bottom