Light Brahmas, Salmon Faverolles, and Americanas

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Red Rooster, Oct 31, 2011.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Okay, I'm really wanting Light Brahmas, Salmon Faverolles, and Americanas. SD doesn't have any chickens in Craigslist, so I might buy them from a hatchery. [​IMG]

I really want some pictures of them!! Please post pictures if you have any! BTW It doesn't have to be a Light Brahma. Thats just the color I would want.

Also, which chicken is the most friendly out of all of them?

Thank you!! [​IMG]

2. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    The Ameraucanas that you purchase from a hatchery will most likely be EE's. The first EE's I got were from a local farm and I adored them. The ones I got from a local hatchery were so-so. I loved my Ameraucanas though. Just try to find a breeder near you if you can and if you want the breed that much. You can go to the Ameraucana thread and ask if there's a breeder near you.

I don't have any chickens anymore because I had to sell them all, but you can see the three white Ameraucanas I used to have in my avatar picture. I don't have any experience with Light Brahmas or Salmon Faverolles (I want these too!) but I'm sure someone will give you advice on them. [​IMG]

Also I wanted to add that two of those Ameraucanas were the friendliest birds I ever had. One was a rooster that I gave away but he was the best; he always sat on my lap and he loved his muffs petted. One of the other pullets was also very friendly. She loved her muffs petted and she would always croon if I petted her back. She never gave me any problems.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  3. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    My light brahma rooster, Roostroyer. He's about 6 months old in these pictures.

[​IMG]

Isn't he a fine handsome young fella?

[​IMG]

Suck a majestic pose.

[​IMG]

he has an imposing stature, see how much he dwarfs that gallon jug of milk.

[​IMG]

... and of course, being the angsty teenage boy he is, he also moons you whenever he can.

[​IMG]

4. The Red Rooster

Thank you everyone!! Nice pictures! [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Well first, hatcheries nor most Craigslist sellers have real Ameraucanas [​IMG] They have Easter Eggers.

Easter Eggers are nice, although they really do vary in temperament, laying ability, etc. They are after-all not a breed. I have so many photos of so many different versions of Easter Eggers, so, I'll spare the space unless requested. I've had rumpless ones, tailed ones, bearded ones, clean-faced ones, tufted ones, feather-legged ones, crested ones, frizzled ones, colorful ones, common looking ones, etc.

Brahmas are really nice, but personally I think non-hatchery ones just rock! [​IMG] I have both hatchery and non-hatchery stock, both are extremely sweet, very docile and calm, and full of personality, but man does my non-hatchery girl TOWER over my hatchery girls!

3 yr old molting Hatchery Light Brahma hen on left, Blue Partridge pullet on right, only 7 months old and still growing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a final note - My Brahmas are friendlier than my EE's I've had, homemade versions or hatchery bought.

6. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    I want a standard dark brahma pullet so badly, I love that coloring D:

7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Of the breeds listed here, I only have the Faverolles, and they are from a hatchery. I've got two hens, and out of my 7 chickens (barred rocks, red sex link, australorp) they are by far the most friendly. They are the first to come flying at me and they want to snuggle. They both shove their entire heads in my arm (or.. armpit) and just doze off while I pet them.
    They are by far the most docile of my chickens, which means that they are at the bottom of the totem pole. They don't try to stand up for themselves at all, and thus everyone picks on them and they KNOW they can pick on them.
    I also experienced that as chicks they seemed a bit more fragile. I don't know if that is because they are hatchery stock or not! (probably)

Coho:
    [​IMG]

She's a little muddy here...
    [​IMG]

Here, too..
    [​IMG]

And this is Derperella. She's a bit special, but I think you already know that!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. The Red Rooster

I think I'm more set on Faverolles and Brahmas. Thank you Nambroth for the pictures! And yes, Derp is VERY special!

9. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    This is Clara my Lt Brahma, Lena is my avatar.
    They are a month younger than my oldest hens, and bigger than they are. They are 20 weeks now, but not ready to lay yet.
    I fell in love with their feathered feet.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by