Light Brahmas

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Krisatt, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Krisatt

Krisatt New Egg

Feb 14, 2012
    Hi

We are new to rearing chickens and was wondering if someone could help us.
    We brought 2 Light Brahma chicks in May 2011.
    We later found out that one of what we thought were two hens was in fact a rooster.
    They are now 9 months and seem to be fully grown, however we haven't had any eggs yet from the hen and we are getting concerned.

Is this normal, or do we need to help in someway?

We were also thinking of introducing some more hens of the same breed to our mini flock, is there a particular way we need to do this?

Any advice would be lovely :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    My Brahma's always take a LONG time to lay. Don't worry she will. Search introducing chickens and you'll find lots of great advice.

3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Mine were June 2011 babies & they were my last to lay, got our first eggs the beginning of Jan. 2012. Even got a double yolker and a 3 inch egg.

4. chickenmanII

chickenmanII Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    I have been told that some hens wait until there next spring after they hit the right age to start laying. I also have some that are not laying yet, so I'm hoping.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Brahma's are VERY slow to mature.

6. melodynye

melodynye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Yale, Michigan
    My Light Brahmas hatched April began laying in November. I didn't check to see your area - we are in Michigan and they like cold weather. I'm wondering if that made a difference for us?

7. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    My light brahmas are in a mixed flock of 14, all of the same age, and at least two of the three Brahmas are laying regularly now (observed in the nest). They hatched September 19. I'm still not quite sure which of the eggs are from the Brahma but I've seen two different ones in the nest. They started about middle of last week.

8. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL
    I have 2 LB's and both started to lay at 22-23 weeks and have laid consistently since. They started laying around the end of December.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by