Light breed roo?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by quailbrain, Dec 29, 2009.

1. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    I read in another post that light breed roos can alert to hawks? I do not have pigeons and am completely ignorant to them so may I ask [​IMG] what does "light breed" roo mean? I get that it's a male but the term light breed? Thank you!

2. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I'm assuming they mean light colored birds. Some breeds are predominatly a certain color, so perhaps they were referring to those who are usually solid white. Hawks do seem to give special attention to white birds, but I don't blame them. They stick out like a sore thumb [​IMG] However, it wouldn't be any different if you had 40 white pigeons and one black one. He'd stick out too even though he's not a light colored bird.

3. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Are you talking about a chicken or a pigeon? "Light breed roo" in chicken terminology would refer to a light, in terms of weight, breed of chicken....usually white egg layers, such as Leghorns and the Mediterranean class of birds.....

[​IMG]

Conversely, heavy breed birds would be the heavier weights, ones that are dual purpose for meat and eggs, usually are brown layers.

4. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    Ahhhh OK. Thank you!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by