Light bulb burned out on day 21!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cranman, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    So here we are, on the finish line, day 21, egg has been rocking for a day or two. I get home for lunch and look to see if it's piped yet, nope. Then I notice the thermometer says 90. 90???!! And one corner of the 'bater is dark. Has the thermostat messed up? Try to turn up the temps and light never comes on! Luckily I had a extra 40w bulb, put in in and sure enough, the old bulb had burned out. For what it's worth, I designed the 'bater with a secondary 25W light that runs at all times to help even out the temps and luckily it also acts as a secondary heat source so if either bulb burns out one is still on. I think the egg will be ok, it only got down to 90 and I have heard of worse during power outages etc.

Oh yeah....yes it's only one egg! There were others but they didn't develop?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Glad you changed the bulb, and didn't give up on the egg. It's hatch day, so you should have a little baby coming out any time! How exciting!

3. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    What is it with NC? I live in the foothills and I had a bulb go out last night and the temp went down to 70. DH replaced and we are trying to continue on. Good luck! We are on day 20.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  4. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    Yeah weird that of all days, on day 21 it goes out. Luckily I was able to come home for lunch today and caught it before the temp got to low. Now I am paranoid and will probably redesign the 'bater after this hatch to have a back up fan too. I had a fan go out early in this hatch as well, probably the reason the other 8 eggs didn't develop. Maybe this egg has cat's luck, you know with 9 lives! It already survived a fan and light bulb issue, too hot and then too cold!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by