Light bulb warning...a must read

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Southern28Chick, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southern28Chick

    Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

    Apr 16, 2007

    There is a movement by many states and localities to ban incandescent light bulbs and convert to total use of fluorescent bulbs (CFL) to save energy. And yet there are few who have read the small print on the tiny inside package label of fluorescent bulbs or heard about the EPA’s problems with regard to mercury contamination. What should you know about fluorescent light bulbs?

    Now anyone that knows me knows that I'm an "enviro-wacko" or "greenie" and I care about saving energy but these bulbs leak mercury into the soil in landfills contaminating water sources.

    Take from this thread what you will, this is not a debate thread just an informational one.

    Thanks for reading. [​IMG]
  2. Southern28Chick

    Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

    Apr 16, 2007
    Has anyone read this yet? I'm shocked that they even sell these things!
  3. Colored Egg Farmer

    Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

    hey did you ever hear of recycleing. its just like batteries. you can recycle all CFL and its recommended right on the backage. You can actually buy buckets and send it to the recycleing plants.
  4. Alaska animal lover

    Alaska animal lover Songster

    Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    I've read about the possible ban before. Some folks are stocking up on them before they get banned. I was shocked when I went to Walmart and they only had a few incandescents and about 60 different fluorescents.
  5. morelcabin

    morelcabin Songster

    Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Not everyone recycles, and yes I have heard a few terrible things about these new bulbs. I will not use them in my home.
    Did you know that if one of these breaks in your home you are to make sure that there are no children or pregnant/nursing mothers in the room until it is totally aired out? Hmmmm, doesn't sound like anything I want my family exposed to
  6. Southern28Chick

    Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

    Apr 16, 2007
    Didn't I say that this was not a debate thread and you must not have read the article. The article also talks about bulbs breaking in your home. Who's to say they'll NEVER accidentally break a bulb?

    The outside label on most fluorescent light bulbs does not carry this hazard information leading the public to believe that these bulbs are safe and that they do not need special recycling as hazardous wastes. And the outside label does not let you know that used bulbs should be placed in containers where they can’t be broken prior to disposal.

    No one currently knows how many fluorescent bulbs are in landfills at this time. If we expand their usage we are adding to a monumental mercury pollution problem. We definitely need recycling before we need to use more of these fluorescent light bulbs.

    Where are thousands of these fluorescent bulbs, made from (a polluting industry), going to be recycled in the future if we ban incandescent bulbs? Are there recycling centers that can handle mercury contamination from these types of bulbs and take care of clean up when these bulbs are broken in your home and in landfills where they may be dumped?​
  7. Southern28Chick

    Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

    Apr 16, 2007
    If the glass is broken serious skin burn and eye inflammation from short-wave ultraviolet radiation may occur. Many of these fluorescent bulbs are constructed without automatic shut offs if the light bulbs are broken, thus exposing people to this type of harmful UV radiation.

    In the workplace many employees subjected to this type of lighting develop eyestrain and headaches. In many cases the flickering of these types of lights causes workplace eyestrain and irritation from the lighting being too bright. These issues do not appear to have any solutions at this time other than the use of incandescent light bulbs.

    Clean up instructions for mercury broken bulbs are not provided on the outside of fluorescent manufacturer’s packaging at this time. Therefore, consumers are not aware of the following EPA facts:

    A. “Never use a vacuum cleaner to clean up mercury. The vacuum will put mercury into the air and increase exposure. The vacuum appliance will be contaminated and have to be disposed of in a hazard waste disposal site.”

    B. “Never use a broom to clean up mercury…”

    C. “Never wash mercury contaminated items in a washing machine. Mercury may contaminate the machine and/or pollute sewage.”

    D. Everyone should be removed from the area where the spill occurred; this includes pets. The impacted areas should be sealed off from other areas and all ventilation systems should be turned off from the impacted area.

    E. “Never walk around as your shoes might be contaminated with mercury. Contaminated clothing can spread mercury around.” In case of fire the entire area will be contaminated with mercury and should be sealed off from any type of use.
    F. If a spill occurs on carpet, curtains, upholstery or other like surfaces, these contaminated items should be thrown away in accordance…” and with assistance of your local hazard waste disposal site.​
  8. Colored Egg Farmer

    Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

    well i agree that every one of thoes bulbs should have the warning. just rectently we got a new hose nosle and on it said warning contains lead and all that california stuff. almost everyting has bad stuff in it now. O and i forgot what happens to all thoes old thermomiters people have with the mecury.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  9. DrakeMaiden

    DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

    Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    People throw batteries in the trash all the time (not to mention on parking lot pavement). I'd like to think because they don't know any better . . . but still. I also had a neighbor who would smash up fluorescent light bulbs into a trash bag so that the trash guys would HAVE to take them. [​IMG]

    Didn't hear there would be a ban on incadescents.

    If you break one of those CFLs you have to leave the room for a while and then use wet clean up techniques. But since the mercury is supposedly in vapor form (?), then I'd think the mercury could go everywhere.

    Thanks, Southern, for the info.
  10. Southern28Chick

    Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

    Apr 16, 2007
    Quote from another article:

    “It’s kind of ironic that on the one hand, the agency is saying, ‘Don’t worry, it’s a very small amount of mercury.’ Then they have a whole page of [instructions] how to handle the situation if you break one,”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: