1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

light bulbs as heat...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by destorieswind, Dec 14, 2008.

1. destorieswind

destorieswind Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Ok. I know Arizona winters arent very drastic, depending on where you live... but this last day it has been raining. Temperatures about 30-40 at night and a freezing 65 degrees F in the day!
    I was wondering if I should put an old lamp out in the coop to create some heat for the next few nights.
    Only reason for this is because about 4 weeks ago when the cold rain hit I lost a chicken to disease of the sorts.
    What do you think about a 100 watt bulb out by their roosts? Will the light bother them?

I just know that prevention is less costly than dealing with something...
    Thanks

2. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    There are red heatlamp bulbs that are great for heat but dont give off the white light glow. I use a 250 watt heat lamp. I am in NY though. Our temps get below zero on occasion. It keeps the water from freezing also. Good luck.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:When temps are just about 30-40 I turn off the heat lamps. I only turn it on if it is below 20, and then mostly to keep the waterers from freezing.

Chickens are more hardy than we think they are [​IMG]

If you want to put out a red heat bulb, though, it would probably be ok. If you don't want the 250 watt that you get at the feed stores or TSC, you can get smaller wattage red bulbs at pet stores that deal in Reptiles. I used to get them for my snake - anywhere from 50 watt on up to 250 watt.

good luck

meri

4. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    We have had temps in the single digits here in Michigan and all my chickens seem to be doing well. It was 20 for the high the other day and they even went outside and free ranged for a while. I use no heat in the barn but I do have a heated waterer to keep it from freezing. So personally I think they would be fine without any heat just make sure they are out of the wind that is more important than the temp.

5. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

So far our coldest day was 2 degrees and my birds did what they always do the ran around the yard it didnt even phase them...I changed their water a few times cause it froze and gave them extra corn and sunflowerseeds but other than that I did nothing... I dont think you birds will mind 30 degrees... Remember their coop stays warmer than the outside temps

6. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    As long as your chickens have access to non-frozen water they will be okay. I have a 60 watt bulb which raises the temp of the coop by 10 degrees but its purpose is to keep the metal water can from freezing up. It is a drop light with an 8" metal cover. The light bulb is touching the metal watering can. Both of them are below roost level so the light has minimal affect on the chickens.

If you are worried about it getting too cold add some straw or hay so that they can burrow into it.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    We have some young chicks (between 2-3 months old) in a tractor, and their only heat source is a 100 watt bulb. The tractor is covered at night with plastic, so they don't get any wind or anything. The light does not affect them at all, and it keeps them pretty warm in there. You may want to use a smaller wattage bulb, just to take the chill out. Being in a warmer climate, I would worry about them adjusting as well.

8. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I just moved all my chicks out to the storage shed (about 50 between the ages of 2 and 5 weeks!) They were too stinky in the house. They have heat lamps over their boxes, but it's still chilly out there and they've been all huddled up. Even the 250 watt bulb doesn't seem to be putting off much heat. I guess they'll be okay...Their waters didn't freeze, so it's at least above 32. I'm just thinking of it as "hardening them off" before moving out to the coop, which is a drafty old barn.

9. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:I would argue that you have far more risk from disease by having your coop to warm, too tight, too moist, and too stale than you will by having it too cold. I think you would be doing your chickens a huge disservice by adding heat when the temps are as temperate as you describe. I am in Colorado and we just had a night that was minus 18 degrees and my hens were happy as can be without any heat in the coop. I have a device to keep the water from freezing but that is it.

I have a very old book on animal care and the stockman that wrote that was adamant that warm tight coops were a stockmans worst enemy. He fully beleived that animals including chickens are best served by a dry draft free environment that has plenty of fresh air.

JMO

10. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by