light bulbs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickbird, Oct 1, 2011.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    what can we do to keep the incandescent(edison) light bulbs from being taken off the market? they are suppose to be taken off by jan. of 2012, many of us use these for heat sources inraising chicks/quail. the florescent will not produce the heat a regular light bulb does. what about everyone on the forum contacting their congressman and ask that the law to take the regular bulbs off the market be repealed. it is going to take a lot of us asking to accomplish this.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have been stocking up since I heard about it. My suggestion is to have a room warmer than others, stock up on the light bulbs. The ones available for larger commercial brooding will be available but not the incandescent light bulbs. The 100 watts will go first and then the others shortly after.

3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    gah...well at least there is always heating elements [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You can always switch over to ceramic heat elements. They are quite a bit more expensive but they last a very long time.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Honestly, that request is kind of selfish and most likely would be ignored.

"Mr. Congressman, please fight to repeal the removal of incandescent light bulbs, which would lower utility requirements for all, thereby increasing the wealth of our people and ultimately improving the health of our planet, just so I can save a few dollars on heaters for my chicks? Pretty please?"

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I'm confident it's out of our control. Stock up while you've got a chance, and chalk this one on up there as a good thing taken away from you.....just like non-ethanol gasoline................Thanks to your Guvment!

7. chickbird

May 4, 2009
    Quote:Honestly, that request is kind of selfish and most likely would be ignored.

"Mr. Congressman, please fight to repeal the removal of incandescent light bulbs, which would lower utility requirements for all, thereby increasing the wealth of our people and ultimately improving the health of our planet, just so I can save a few dollars on heaters for my chicks? Pretty please?"

having to pay$4-6 for a light bulb is not going to increase wealth, for many poor people this is going to be a hardship...this is just another government regulation of deciding what is best for a person, not letting the individual decide for themselves which bulb they want. we are slowly becoming a nation of having someone in congress deciding things they have no right to do. it is my understanding that the new light bulb is not healthier although it may use less energy. i did not mean you to go off the deep-end, take a deep breath and exhale.

8. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to Australia where cheap bulbs are non existent.... I Paid about $11.00 for my red light bulb 75 watt and it only lasted it me for one and half bulbs...
    I have now invested in a ceramic bulb of about $47.00
    Stock up while you can...

Also florescent light bulbs contain mercury so be careful of disposing them...

9. chickbird

May 4, 2009
    Quote:THE MERCURY IS WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO AS NOT BEST HEALTH WISE, HERE IN US WHERE I LIVE THE 100 AND 250 RED HEAT LIGHT BULBS ARE $8-12.00, BUT THE WHITE 100 WATT BULBS ARE GOOD SOURCES OF HEAT FOR LITTLE CHICKS/QUAIL AND THEY ARE ABOUT 50 CENTS EACH DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU BUY I I
    HATE TO SEE THEM TAKEN OFF THE MARKET. EVERY MONTH I AM BUYING ONE OR TWO BOXES OF 8 AND SAVING. WE HAVE HAD ONE SENATOR TRY TO REPEAL THIS LAW, IT CAUSED A FACTORY THAT EMPLOYED HUNDREDS OF WORKERS TO ALREADY CLOSE AND ALL THOSE PEOPLE ARE NOW OUT OF WORK. I UNDERSTAND THAT TEXAS IS GOING TO MAKE THEM FOR THEIR STATE, BUT I DON,T THINK THEY CAN SELL THEM OUT OF STATE.

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:THE MERCURY IS WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO AS NOT BEST HEALTH WISE, HERE IN US WHERE I LIVE THE 100 AND 250 RED HEAT LIGHT BULBS ARE $8-12.00, BUT THE WHITE 100 WATT BULBS ARE GOOD SOURCES OF HEAT FOR LITTLE CHICKS/QUAIL AND THEY ARE ABOUT 50 CENTS EACH DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU BUY I I
    HATE TO SEE THEM TAKEN OFF THE MARKET. EVERY MONTH I AM BUYING ONE OR TWO BOXES OF 8 AND SAVING. WE HAVE HAD ONE SENATOR TRY TO REPEAL THIS LAW, IT CAUSED A FACTORY THAT EMPLOYED HUNDREDS OF WORKERS TO ALREADY CLOSE AND ALL THOSE PEOPLE ARE NOW OUT OF WORK. I UNDERSTAND THAT TEXAS IS GOING TO MAKE THEM FOR THEIR STATE, BUT I DON,T THINK THEY CAN SELL THEM OUT OF STATE.

I like this guys way of thinking..let us think/decide that is. Just thought you might like to listen to him.. if only all of them could let us make our own decisions.

I hadn't heard about this, the bulbs being taken away. What next? So many jobs lost, and who came up with this idea of taking them off the market?

Here's is Kelly's remarks... I liked his ranting on about how we should be able to..as the people, make decisions.. http://pawatercooler.com/v3/?p=22696

Had to check this out... hope this site works, tells what they are doing.. http://money.usnews.com/money/busin...9/faq-the-end-of-the-light-bulb-as-we-know-it

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by