Light Color Egg Laid w/ Spots (Maran's and Welsummer's)

Pumperkinz

Songster
Aug 14, 2021
Upstate New York (Albany Region)
Hi all,

We at the beginning of this year took on the endeavor of building our chicken coop, and getting some chickens.

We ordered :
3 French Black Marans
4 Welsummers
1 French Weaten Marans (This is our roo)

My question

Yesterday we had 6/7 chickens lay an egg, and this one on the left was laid out in the coop this morning and is a new color to me as far as marans/welsummers go, and the one to the right is what the marans have been laying so far.

I'm not sure if the left one is truly a maran, but this is the second egg I've seen of this color, and both have been laid out in the coop early in the morning unfortunately I caught this one today before they accidentally cracked it etc.

* Note all these birds are hatchery birds from cackle

Thanks in advance! I can grab some pics of the ladies later today if anyone would like to see as well!

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 39
Hi all,

We at the beginning of this year took on the endeavor of building our chicken coop, and getting some chickens.

We ordered :
3 French Black Marans
4 Welsummers
1 French Weaten Marans (This is our roo)

My question

Yesterday we had 6/7 chickens lay an egg, and this one on the left was laid out in the coop this morning and is a new color to me as far as marans/welsummers go, and the one to the right is what the marans have been laying so far.

I'm not sure if the left one is truly a maran, but this is the second egg I've seen of this color, and both have been laid out in the coop early in the morning unfortunately I caught this one today before they accidentally cracked it etc.

* Note all these birds are hatchery birds from cackle

Thanks in advance! I can grab some pics of the ladies later today if anyone would like to see as well!
I think the speckled one is likely from one of your Welsummer. Agree there looks to be some bloom causing the purplish hue. 😊

Hmm, have you tried washing it (or another egg of similar color)? It looks almost chalky, like heavy bloom.
I washed it off, and bam you are right. It actually looks more like one of my marans as they have been laying the larger eggs lately. Interesting to see all the color differences I've gotten between the BCMs and welsummers. Was just confused as one of my BCMs doesn't have any of the traditional copper neck colors and looks more like an astralorp then anything lol!

Thank you both!

Back
Top Bottom