Light/ Dark brahmas or Delawares?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tazzy, Jan 31, 2009.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    We have buff orps at the moment, and want to add to our flock this spring. Debating between light brahmas and delawares. Any suggestions? We were set on Delawares until I read that light brahmas are great with kids. The dark brahmas are so pretty, too. Are they equally friendly and good with kids?

Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have dark, light and buff brahmas. The lights and buffs are very tolerant of being carried around by our 2 year old grandson. They just snuggle in and enjoy the ride. I have two darks that also enjoy it, but four of them would prefer to not to be held. Just individual differences I guess.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Absolutely love the Brahmas. Can't get enough of them! lol

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I only have Buff Brahmas large fowl & bantams! They are great with my kids, grandkids & other visiting kids.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My Brahmas do well around the grandsons....

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

ALot will depend on where you get your birds, IMO. I have one Lt. Brahma and one Buff Brahma from Ideal and although they are sweet girls, they aren't as friendly as their rep would seem to indicate. I have had hatchery Delawares and they were HORRIBLE. Now I have breeder Delawares and they have been awesome. Both are good breeds, but the strain they come from will often determine the temperament.

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Our flock of light brahmas is very tame and like being handled. I really think the key to a tame flock is to handle them alot when young and then continue when they are adults....creates a very tame flock.

Helps to talk to them too! [​IMG]

bigzio

8. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    well, we settled on light brahmas over the delawares and we're very excited! we ordered 15 pullets and 2 roos to be delivered on March 30!

9. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on your great choice....May I ask where you ordered them from?

~ bigzio

10. B.CochinCrazy

B.CochinCrazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    I am sure you will be happy with you choice! I [​IMG] my Brahmas & they are great with my kids or visiting ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by