Light During The Winter "Cold Weather"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Inmanfarm, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Inmanfarm

Inmanfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Oakland County, Michigan
    I live in michigan, and I have a smaller coop with 4 Isa Browns, during the winter months is it ok to leave the lights on in the coop 24/7 for heating purposes?????? This will be the 1st winter with our feathered babies, and we dont want them to be uncomfortable in any way. Thanks [​IMG]:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Ditto. [​IMG]

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:That is a great thread and will allay any fears you have about your chickens being cold. As far as the light is concerned, go to Lowe's Christmas section and pick up a timer for about $6-7 that will allow you to turn lights on and off a couple times a day, then set it so your chickens will have about 14 hrs of light. That will be more than enough.

6. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Here's my 2 Cents. I have 5 girls in a little coop and the only real function for the light is to keep their laying cycle consistent.
    It's dark here by 5 pm now and really doesn't light up till around a little after 8. But as soon as their light comes on in the morning they are up scratching around out in the dark and cold.

I say put the light on a timer for their cycle but don't sweat the temp thing. As long as they have a place to keep out of the wind they will be in good shape.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Leaving the lights on 24/7 can cause certain egg defects. It causes stress. They really need some dark time at night to relax. I've read a minimum of 7 hours of darkness is best, but I can't find that article again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by