Light for coop w/o electric

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 2DogsFarm, Apr 20, 2009.

1. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Since there is no power to my (future) henhouse I was thinking of getting a Coleman battery lantern for doing stuff in the dark.

Does anyone use one of these or have a suggestion for an alternative?

Also need suggestions for a wireless heatsource for Winter. Would a propane Buddy Heater be safe with the pine shavings bedding?

2. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    It isn't the safest by far, but for now we've run an outdoor safe electrical extension cord to the coop and have a heating light on a timer.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I use the same type of cord to heat my horses' trough in Winter - but that cord only runs about 5' outside the barn.

My henhouse is about 50' from the nearest outlet.
    Will that work?

Of course I'll have to use an orange one so I don't mow over it... [​IMG]

4. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Have you considered some kind of solar lighting? You can get them in the landscape lighting section of your local hardware store. You mat be able to run a infrared heat light off a solar panel, this way you would have extension cords to get in the way.
    Jenny

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    We use solar lights for our coop and works great! Still don't have heat out there but we use a black rubber bowl for livestock and just pop the ice out(if there is any) and refill with fresh water everyday.

6. Big George

Big George Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    I live in Indianapolis and my chickens did well without heat all winter. The coop is elevated but snug. They put off 8btus a piece. I did get a heated base for the water. Just saw them half price at Rural King.

7. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I had that problem when I first started raising dogs and there are many ways to fix the problem of having no power. I think I tried them all but the ones that worked best for me were

1. buddy heater used allot of propane because it never shut off - a regular propane heater with a thermostate works allot better- you just hang it on the wall and go to TSC to get an adapter to use it with a regular small propane tank. also if it tips over it shuts off so less chance of fire. It gives off some light to.

2 For light go with an extention cord- the battery powered lanterns do work pretty good but I always forgot to charge them.

Hope this helps

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I would seriously not run a propane anything in the coop. CO buildup and fire reasons. Just pick breeds that do not need supplemental heat, and manage coop well, and they will be fine.

For water, you can simply bring them fresh new water (preferably in a largeish insulated container) several times a day, problem solved.

For light, you can get solar-powered shed lights, or use something battery-operated as you suggest. (Won't work for extending day length, but perfectly fine for allowing you to do coop chores)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

9. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
  10. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I'm considering solar light source as well as running an electrical cord out there for the winter. I was just going to run it from the garage to the coop through a pvc pipe so it doesn't get all wet and stuff. It is also on a light switch so I can turn it off if not needed and on if it is going to be needed and I can control that from inside the hosue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by