Light for my coop- No electricity in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jww6419, Nov 29, 2011.

1. jww6419

jww6419 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    I need some feedback on my plans. My chicken coop(small coop 3'x5' for 3 hens) doesn't have electricity and I don't want to run and cord all the way out to it so I was think about this. I have a rechargeable marine battery i use for my trolling motor in the boat. I don't do much fishing in the winter so I was thinking I could use the battery hooked to a 400 watt power inverter with a digital timer plugged into it and a lamp kit with a 15-25 watt bulb set to come on early in the morning for 6 hours in the morning to provide extra winter lighting. I've never used a inverter or anything like this so any advice is welcome. What size bulb? larger inverter? different light kit idea? anything you think could make it better.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    a regular 40 watt light bulb will do it......chickens need 14 hours of light to keep laying....

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might want to check out a solar shed light for $29.95 from Harbor Freight Tools online.

4. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Last year for Christmas my kids went to Harbor Freight or whatever and got a very bright led shop light with its own solar panel and enclosed battery system. I just use it to check on the birds after dark, really over kill for that, but now that you mention the winter light subject, I could move it or get another one for inside. I think they run $50-$75 now.

for the tool shed, I got a two pack for $20 at Costco, small led on montion-sensor, runs on 3 AA batteries. 3 months still same batteries.

6. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! I was wanting to do the same thing, but with a solar trickle charger. I am interested to see if anyone else has tried anything like you are suggesting. I have looked at the solar lights with the remote collectors, but haven't figured out how to attach a timer. Looking forward to more responses!

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you can find a timer that will work, you'd be better off to use a 12 volt LED light.

Inverters themselves take a lot of power to run, and most have cooling fans that add to the drain.
    The battery will run down quick when it's cold

http://www.whistlergroup.com/faq-inverters-answers.asp

How much power does the inverter need from the batteries?

As a rule of thumb (leaning on the high side), an inverter will require 10% of its continuous wattage rating from a battery. Example: A 300 watt inverter providing 300 watts to an appliance will require 30 amps from the battery. The same inverter providing 150 watts to an appliance will require 15 amps from the battery.​

8. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is a solar light controller that can be configured to stay on a few hours after sunset and come on again before sunrise (or any of ten patterns it supports.)

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sun-light

A quick read suggests it has a charge controller built in, but I haven't studied the documentation.

-Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by