1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light in brooder at night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by plucker, Apr 11, 2011.

1. plucker

plucker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Middle TN
    We've had record heat here in TN lately and so I do not need to use my IR lamp. But do chicks need or just do better with some light at night? Or should they be fine in the dark? They are 3 weeks+ old and live in a brooder in my sunroom.

Mine seem to sometime appreciate having the light on at night. They are okay at night but sometimes start chirping loudly in the dark after a few hours. They stop when I turn the room lights on and leave them for the rest of the night.

I assume it doesn't make a huge difference but...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I've not read that the light is important, just the heat.
    It seems, at least, yours like a night light.

Imp

3. plucker

plucker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Middle TN
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, mine seems to get restless after about 4 hours of dark. I'm slowly increasing the length of darkness every night so they'll be accustomed to it when they go outside. Didn't really think it was a problem. Just being an old mother hen (or rooster might be more gender appropriate)

4. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    I'm in south Louisiana and it's been warm here as well. I took my heat lamp out & replaced the bulb with a regular 60w bulb. I don't know why, but my chickens won't go inside at night unless the light is on in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by