Light in coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nateness01, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Nateness01

Nateness01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Due to the extreme cold here I put a 100W bulb in their coop, which made it significantly warmer, is there any concern that they will just stay up all night with the light in there. I didn't have access to a red heat light right now, and the one that's in there provides heat, but will it keep them awake all night? I guess better to be kept awake than freeze!

2. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    they probably won't freeze, they usually huddle together to stay warm. how old are your chickens? a regular light will make them think it's daytime and. i installed a red light last night...it's suppose to get down to 17 here tonight.

3. Nateness01

Nateness01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    The three older girls are 3 or 4 and the younger three are about 6 months all fully feathered. I will have to put a different one in tomorrow. At least they'll be warm

4. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    I've heard they stress out from lack of water, so make sure their water is thawed every once in a while. I put water under the red light in the coop... I'm hoping this will keep it thawed tonight. I put a reptile heating pad under a bucket in their run today but they haven't come out of the coop since the cold weather hit. I have four hens...two are a year and a half and the other two are 6 and 8 months.

5. paul65

paul65 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    I had a white lite in my coop first time i turned it on they thought it was day time and went out of the coop changed to red heat lamp and have not had any trouble. One other thing is if u have a tractor supply near by they sell heated dog bowls i bought one and it works great.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    The white will be fine for a day or 2 but you should get a red one.

24/7 (white light) can cause problems in the flock !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by