**Light issues.....!** PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tripp16, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok so you all may know I have 4 new babies!

Well there are 3 that are older than one she is two weeks and others are 3 weeks. It amazes me how different they are! I know that the 3 week olds still need light but not as much as the two week old.

The two week old has her wing feathers but the other have a bit more......they seem to sleep away from the light in the brooder at night but Im not going to cut it off because its 50 degrees outside at night. Theyre brooder stays aroeunf 99.5 to 100 degrees and it seems to be constant. What should I do? Can I cut it off during the day? [​IMG]

Any help much apprectiated! [​IMG]

Here they are...the smallest one is the one on the far right. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Oh, they are soooo cute! I can't help you with your question, but I'm sure someone will!

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    in June I got 3 new EE to add to my flock, I kept them inside the house...I only used the light for 2 days...then I cut it off, the temps were fine in the brooder
    [​IMG]

they did great...I would say if you still have it at 100*, you need to raise the light for certain, change the wattage to something less, or turn it off and see what they do
    they will tell you if its too hot or cold...
    (by 3 weeks you should have the heat around 80*....

4. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    95-100 degrees for 2 and 3 week olds is way too hot. Mine are comfortable at 80, and do fine at 70. Hang the lamp higher, or use a smaller wattage bulb.

Please be aware that temps that are too hot when chicks cannot get away from them can kill them very fast.

5. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Well someone gave me a brooder and its nice but the lamp is screwed on to the lid. I guess I will have to rig something up! Thanks for the help everyone! [​IMG]

6. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok I just went and it was still 100 degrees sooo I cut the lamp off its around 65 70 degrees outside and they are in my garage so its a bit warmer and no drafts are coming in. Plus its still warm in the brooder from the lamp. Is this too cool? [​IMG]

7. fiddlebanshee

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    it may be too cool too suddenly. Can you screw in a smaller wattage bulb. Like, if there was a 100 watt bulb in there, just put a 50 watt bulb in, or 75 and monitor the temp?

8. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    Put them in a bigger area. That way you could have a warm area under the light and cooler on the outskirts.

9. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Ok would like a house light bulb work?? [​IMG]

Sorry new to the outdoor brooding thing....

10. fiddlebanshee

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Many people use ordinary light bulbs. You can also get smaller wattages of the red lights at the pet store in the reptile section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by