light or buff brahma?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by onesweetfarm, Apr 5, 2011.

1. onesweetfarm

onesweetfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I have 2 buff brahmas and 2 light brahmas, all are a day old. I would post pictures but with the red heat lamp it is hard to distinguish the colors. To me the 4 look the same. They are all very dark and look a lot like my black australorps. The only reason I can tell the brahmas from the rest is because their legs are fuzzy. The partridge cochins are easy to distinguish because they have a very light "strawberry" color to them. Are there any other ways to tell the brahmas apart? perhaps markings?[​IMG]

2. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
  3. onesweetfarm

Mar 22, 2011
    Rhode Island
    thank you! I did check it out but I don't have any with that much yellow besides my 2 buff orpingtons. I will just have to wait it out a bit and see what happens. Thanks for the site!

4. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:Your Buff Orps will have white legs. Does that help? The brahmas will have feathered legs, but I think you knew that already.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    You should be able to tell them apart pretty quickly as the wing feathers come in. The light Brahmas will have white with some black and the buffs will be a buff colored with some black. That's going to be the only way to distinguish between the two varieties.

6. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    my light brahma chicks are very yellow [​IMG]

7. onesweetfarm

Mar 22, 2011
    Rhode Island
    thanks everyone.

Meyer said that if I sent them photos they could tell me who is who. I have to say that was no easy task. [​IMG] they wouldn't stand still!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by