LIght pressboard fell on my 6 week pullet and now she won't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jfrk4ever, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Jfrk4ever

Jfrk4ever Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Last night, my husband went to close up our henhouse and while checking on the 6 week old pullets, found that the board we've been using to try to keep the baby chicks from accidentally falling into the feed bin (couldn't find the lid) and fallen on one of our girls. We brought her in and put her in an utility sink, with some water, to keep her warm and watch her closely. She will not stand up, but otherwise seems alert. i haven't seen her drink any water, nor has she been willing to drink when we've dipped her beak in the water either. Her tail seems a bit crooked to us and when my husband tried to get her to stand, she didn't seem to be able to keep her balance.

1. Do you think she will survive? Otherwise, my husband is wondering if maybe we shouldn't let her suffer and put her out of her misery. :(
    2. What else can we do as we can't see any other evidence of injuries, externally anyways.

Thanks so much!!

2. Jfrk4ever

Feb 15, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Update: She IS now drinking water on her own. My kids gave her a slice of bread to entice her to eat so i'm going to be checking to see if she is eating that in a bit.too. Maybe there is hope? Still haven't seen her try to stand up though. :(

3. ernie85017

ernie85017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Blanche got tangled up in a folding lawn chair once and couldn't walk. I rushed to the vet and he said she had a head injury and would be better with time. It wasn't much time, maybe a day, and she was fine again.
    Did you check for broken bones? How much time has passed since the injury?

4. Jfrk4ever

Feb 15, 2013
    Central Indiana
    This happened sometime last night before 9 or 10 p.m.. She has been drinking water of her own accord and is standing up and cheeping, but not moving much on her own. She has stood and stretched her neck to see what is going on, so I take it that is a good sign? She is moving a little but it seems difficult for her. My husband was wondering if maybe we put her back out with the other chicks if that will encourage her to move.....or possibly get picked on instead :(

5. Jfrk4ever

Feb 15, 2013
    Central Indiana
    OH!! And we did check for any broken bones and couldn't find any. We stretched each of her legs at each joint and rotated them slightly and she didn't express any discomfort at that movement.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would suggest bringing in another chick from outside to be with her, then watch for any signs of aggression other than the normal at first. If she is eating and drinking, and seems back to normal, then I would put the 2 out together with the rest. Look for any signs of internal injuries such as bleeding in the droppings.

7. Jfrk4ever

Feb 15, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Thanks!! We are going to put her with another chick tomorrow morning as she finally started eating tonight. She is limping around the utility sink, but only as much as she has to. We didn't have a good way to keep 2nd chick from roaming our utility room so I think we're going to put her inside an old wire dog crate inside the coop area, that way the others can see her (and her, them), but she is protected in case they get super aggressive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by