light question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kyrose, Dec 9, 2009.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    im trying to not use a heat source this winter but i have some small bantams im worried about.im not thrilled with the thought of a heat lamp (fire) i read some people use a regular bulb 40-100.but i thought i also read that having a bright light in the coop all night can cause stress (i wouldnt be able to sleep with a bright light in my face)so can you help please?

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I really don't think you need heat in Kentucky, but what temperatures are you worried about? And what kind of chickens do you have?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, we need to know what breed of chickens and age. Also, are they in a draft-free coop?

Chickens are alot hardier than some folks give them credit for.

4. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i think we took care of all the drafts.no insulation tho i want to insulate the cieling.i have about 20 birds in an 8x10.the ones i really worry about are my d'uccles.i have 7 of those.4 of them are about 11 weeks old the rest are at least 3 mos. old..i guess im worried when it gets close to 0.
    thanks for responding

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I am normally against adding heat or light, knowing that my flock of LF birds do just fine without it. Still you are talking about some tiny birds, especially the d'uccles and they are young.
    I would be very afraid of a red heat bulb on an extension cord (high wattage), yet red would provide heat without disrupting their day/night schedule.
    I'm bumping your thread up. Hopefully someone with experience with the small ones can provide you with some insight.
    Good luck!
    One way I've read of adding insulation to a pre-existing coop is to stack hay bales up around the outside walls.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    thanks gritsar for replying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by