1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light Sussex (~13 weeks) - Girl or Boy...?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mug Costanza, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Mug Costanza

Mug Costanza New Egg

Dec 27, 2016
    Hi everyone,

We recently got a mixed flock of six chicks with a Rhode Island Red, Barnvelder, Australorp, Barred Plymouth, Araucana and a Light Sussex. We've had some bad luck and the first three have gone back to the breeder after outing themselves as roosters!

They are soon to be replaced but I'm now starting to have doubts about the Light Sussex and was hoping for some help from more practiced chook lovers.

Hopefully these photos are adequate to make an educated guess, but from what I've read these guys can be very hard to sex. She(?) is around 13-14 weeks old.

These photos are all of the same chook, she's the only Light Sussex we've got.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Thank you for joining us [​IMG]

Dear me, it looks like you have another cockerel on your hands!! Will that mean you would of had 4 mistaken cockerels...? I wonder, maybe the breeder loaded you up with the extra roosters, you never know!

He has alot of red in his comb, and thats the main indicator, a pullet will not get a red comb until point of lay..it will stay pale until then...he also has thick yellow sturdy legs which screams cockerel..and the pointy green neck feathers are another indicator, and it looks like hes getting a beautiful big tail in...i must say, hes a beauty! But sorry with your luck of getting heaps of boys...i've been there..

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    That's a columbian Rock, not a Sussex, Sussex have white legs. I'm leaning towards cockerel.

4. Mug Costanza

Mug Costanza New Egg

Dec 27, 2016
    Thanks Mustang Rooster, that will most definitely be 4 out of 6 turning out to be roosters. I'm trying to retain faith in the breeder and he has pledged to replace the roosters with same age pullets, so I guess now it's time to notify him of this one too.

Also, thanks Keesmom. I'll have a look into the breeds and discuss it with the breeder. A quick google certainly looks interesting and I think you might be right.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Keesmom

6. That pretty chicken is a Cockerel.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

8. puffypoo22

puffypoo22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachussetts
    I'm stumped. Is it just me or does that chicken just look very...pullet-y?
    We had one pullet probably about that age, columbian wyandotte. Grew soooo slooow. Did not crow or lay an egg. Her comb was pink, similar color to @Mug Costanza 's chicken. The others' were bright red and they were already laying. (Hatchery SCM and BSL)Her tail was more pointed than the others. Also as a young chick (5-6 wks), she had a bit of yellow on her shoulders. I was thinking about the red on some cocks shoulders to tell the gender. But this one was already silver, so probably leakage. The yellow went away after a little bit. We selected the chicks from a few cages of chicks from some farmer, and I went for the chickens with small, yellow combs instead of the ones with larger pink ones.

On a second look at the pics however, it is looking more cockerel-ish. Pointier hackles than I thought....

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by