Light sussex and an Australorp gender check

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mommapilko, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Mommapilko

Mommapilko Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2011
    Brisbane
    Ok, so, thus far I don't seem to have had much luck with the purebreeds in our new little flock, so I'm putting these pics up for public opinion. Souffle and Nando (sussex and 'lorp) are both 5 weeks old and from the same place - distributer for a hatchery - so I'm not too worried if they're not show quality, but they are definitely SUPPOSED to be girls. My welsummer and barred rocks aren't looking too promising tho.
    Thanks everyone for commenting on my last two posts - I'm learning heaps from everyone!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] *Nando's head is a bit fuzzy but I guess this shows her feathering :)

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Your red shirt in the first post made me wonder why you were asking until I looked closer. I don't see a reason to call these roos yet but things could change. I raised 2 BA and was positive they were roos until almost point of lay because their combs were large and red at a much earlier age than my other pullets. I have been able to spot roos this young when they were with pullets of the same age and breed but as loners I am not an expert. Maybe someone else will have ideas.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the light sussex i want to say pullet but those legs do have me worried, they are pretty thick....i dont usally go by leg size as its not a deffent way to tell. the BA looks like a pullet so far

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    x2 I'd keep an eye on the LS..

5. DGuy

DGuy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    hope the ls was a pullet. Mine looks just like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by