Light Sussex - are these definitely all boys?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jocasta, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I went and collected some quail eggs from a lady and mentioned they would be for meat. She then offered me four 12 week old light sussex roos that she'd failed to re-home and didn't have the stomach to slaughter them herself. I kindly accepted and took them home planning to raise them to about 18-20 weeks. Well, they are now 14 weeks old and I'm not convinced that they are indeed all boys, although I feel a little arrogant doubting her as I'm no expert, by a long shot!

I'm doubting because the comb and wattles are miles behind the others. The tail feathers don't show even a hint of a curl (whereas the others all have much longer, curling tail feathers) and the legs are slightly narrower than the others. It does however have a proper case of the ugly eye, which I hear is indicative of the male chicken lol.

[​IMG] Its the one of the far right I'm not sure of.

Here's a closer shot [​IMG] Sorry none of the pics I took were great.

There's no real preference tbh, I just don't want to dress out a bird that could be laying lots of lovely eggs for us [​IMG]

Any ideas? Roo or hen?

2. Jocasta

Apr 8, 2011
    I forgot to mention that the dark tail feathers do have a metalic blue/green twinge to them which also makes me wonder if he is actually genuinely a he. I'm not sure if hens have shiny tail feathers too or not lol.

3. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    If they are 14 weeks they will be laying soon and I would put them on layer pellets at 17 weeks but they look like hens [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Look like all boys to me(I own and breed light sussex)

5. Jocasta

Apr 8, 2011
    Quote:I know that the three on the left on the top photo are definitely boy as their comb and wattles are already pretty advanced, and their tail feathers are already curling. It's only the one on the right that I am unsure of as it's miles behind the other three when it comes to development, despite being the same age. I know that like humans they all develop at different rates, but I've had them for a fortnight now - the tail feathers on three were already curling when we got them and this one still hasn't got a curl to be seen.

[email protected]@2four, could you explain why you think that one's a boy too? I'm not questioning you - I'm the first to admit that I've no experience and I respect yours, I'm just trying to learn [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by