Light sussex eggs in the incubators - hope not lost

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LocoPollo, Mar 1, 2009.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I finally got a hold of some light sussex eggs!! 18 are from tobe farms and 9 are from greenfire. greenfire also sent a couple of buff sussex eggs to round out the dozen, which I am really excited about! I put them in my incubators along with 8 more speckled sussex eggs. It is going to be a sussex party in there!!

Hatch date should be March 18th!

Here's hoping for a goodun'!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    WOW! I looked up greenfire and it says they are sold out of sussex for the season. You got eggs? Congratulations! Hope your hatch goes well. [​IMG]

3. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Just candled and several of the shipped eggs are duds. Quite disappointing but not unexpected from shipped eggs. Looks like less than half are developing. The 'home grown' eggs from my hens are all developing.

** sigh **

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    greenfire is sold out till 2010 [​IMG] hmmm maby I should make my own sussex color.....
    At least I have my speckled....
    And I emailed tobe farms...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  5. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    well, of the ones from greenfire farms, none made it. 100 bucks down the drain. [​IMG]

Still hoping to get some hatches from tobefarms.

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to here that.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Are you sure they weren't good? I never toss any until at least day ten...sometimes it's just hard to tell.

8. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Woohoo! Not as bad as I thought. My flashlight was losing power so i couldnt candle very well. I changed the batteries, and ... Turns out, five of the twelve from greenfire are developing!!!!! Six were infertile, and one died at looks about day 3 - blood ring. The other eggs from tobefarms have 7 of 18 developing. So looks like i may still get a good few from this hatch!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Glad all is not lost, Randy! Cant wait to see the Sussex babies.

10. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Your eggs are due a day after mine,would love to see them once they hatch as im on the list for some from tobefarms.These will go great with my speckled and soon red Sussex......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by